M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha,

I finally got to the range and had a great time! However, the time was limited and I did want to get in as many things as I could with the time that I had.

The first thing to test was the rifle that was bedded recently. The bedding itself came out nicely, but I wanted to make sure that I had sufficient downward draw on the front band... it took a few rounds to zero and settle the rifle in, and it was cooking!!! The group that I shot for final zero was really tight! Wringing her out will have to be on another day...

The next rifle to test was the pre-ban that "failed to fire". The pre-ban now sports a new bolt, op rod and trigger group... Yep, she shot very well!!! 100% ignition... no failures... and fairly accurate to boot. The bolt that I pulled out was sent to SA and was one of those on the "RECALL" list. I am very stoked that this pre-ban is finally together and shooting well! I have a project in mind for this one as well...

The last rifle that I shot was the "Fun Gun"! A new BushMaster lower and a upper from Crash700 (Mike) topped with a Aimpoint. Test fired for function... zeroed the Aimpoint... and everything looking good, I let go...

Using an Aimpoint with a red dot that almost covered the black at 50 yds, I was making groups that could be covered by nickel... satisfied with that, I started to hose the steel targets at 150-175 and an oversized deer at about 200... it was fun!!! The rifle had no FH or Suppressor and threw a ball of flame on each shot, but it popped those plates with no problem.

Ammo went like water... I was amazed at how small the bullets were... I didn't remember them being this small before! :lol: And, the recoil was almost non-existant...

All in all, it was a really fun day for me! I met up with that fella that can shoot the 430 yd plates with iron sights!!! He impresses me everytime I see him shoot!

I hope I have more fun days like the one I had yesterday! :lol:

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Aloha form Missouri Tom,

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself. I like shooting those “fun guns” myself, fast, well balanced and cheap ammo.

What are ammo prices like in Hawaii?

Mack

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aloha Mack:

Yeah, I had a great time... ammo prices here are just unbelieveable! I paid $210 for a case of Port. And, that was when Port was plentiful and cheap!

Since then, I have brought ammo in on private shipping and that brought it down to about $150 per case, but I also did some work on the person who brought the ammo in so he gave me a big discount. And, that really helped!!!

But since shipping is so expensive, the dealers rarely bring in large quantities of ammo, much less mil surp ammo... which I really eat up.

I have trimmed down my shooting of 7.62 just to make the ammo last... :cry:

I hope there are other opportunities for me in the future.

Aloha and Thanks for Asking...

Tom O.

·
Registered
846 Posts
hey tom have you thought about becoming an importer yourself? the aussie stuff was something like $2 a can in australia. shipping is what makes it the $32-36 here in the states/ since you are a little closer to some of those places maybe you could get it cheaoer that way? of course you'd probably have to buy pallets or containers full of ammo to get a decent price.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad to hear it Tom. I bet it is hard to get out on a range in Hawaii, probably pretty limited in places as compared to good ole Iowa!
I was wondering where you got your cheek rests? I have seen some on some of your posts that appear to be held on by some type of straps.
I am going to Australia in Febuary, I wish I could fill my suitcases up with ammo and leave my clothes over there. Hmmm......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.