M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
She's a beaut.
Been wanting a SOCOM myself for some time. I'm only lacking a barrel and a couple of other misc parts.
Let us know how you like it when you actually get to put some rounds through it.
Lots of info here about increasing accuracy. These little monsters do have their quirks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's a beaut.
Been wanting a SOCOM myself for some time. I'm only lacking a barrel and a couple of other misc parts.
Let us know how you like it when you actually get to put some rounds through it.
Lots of info here about increasing accuracy. These little monsters do have their quirks.
To be honest, I’m used to hitting 12x18 targets between 100-300 with dots and EOtechs. I’ll be proper thrilled with any sort of tight groupings, as I’m more looking to be able to hit torsos than bullseyes. I’m going to see how she fares tomorrow (although I’ve already used her on my mk18 and was wildly impressed. Like, EOtech and diamondback irons for sale impressed. LPVO’s are either the future or a huge wave I missed out on

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hahaha you truly look happy! Was the case rail hard to install? I just purchased one myself and hoping to install next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hahaha you truly look happy! Was the case rail hard to install? I just purchased one myself and hoping to install next week!

It was quite hard, namely the stripper clip guide. They can be too big for the part they go into, so you either have to apply heat, or VLTOR recommended using a file to make the slot it goes into bigger. We opted for heat and beat the **** out of it, mainly because I don’t mind if my guns have scratches/ hammer bash marks (lol). You’d definitely want to use the file method if you plan to resell someday or look at it as less of a tool and more of a trophy piece , or even if you’re someone who just likes to keep your tools in as nice shape as possible. Personally? I know I’m going to drop it and bang it on stuff constantly so I don’t mind the stripper clip guide getting beaten on. The best part, besides the reduced front heavy weight and the slim nice look, is the rail going all the way baxk so you can use optics with only a small bit of eye relief

20 Posts
It was quite hard, namely the stripper clip guide. They can be too big for the part they go into, so you either have to apply heat, or VLTOR recommended using a file to make the slot it goes into bigger. We opted for heat and beat the **** out of it, mainly because I don’t mind if my guns have scratches/ hammer bash marks (lol). You’d definitely want to use the file method if you plan to resell someday or look at it as less of a tool and more of a trophy piece , or even if you’re someone who just likes to keep your tools in as nice shape as possible. Personally? I know I’m going to drop it and bang it on stuff constantly so I don’t mind the stripper clip guide getting beaten on. The best part, besides the reduced front heavy weight and the slim nice look, is the rail going all the way baxk so you can use optics with only a small bit of eye relief
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Shotgun

I've also installed my own CASV. That stripper clip guide is difficult. It installs in dovetail from LEFT to RIGHT. I also had to perform some adjustments to get it in there. Unlike the OP, I removed material from the casv rail part being inserted into the receivers stripper clip guide. For the life of me, I don't understand why you would grind on the rifle's receiver to install a rail guide? Another reason I stay away from buying guns modified by non-gunsmiths. I'll buy a modified gun, but not for what any of you think it's worth after it's been built with a hammer and torch.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 468279

I've also installed my own CASV. That stripper clip guide is difficult. It installs in dovetail from LEFT to RIGHT. I also had to perform some adjustments to get it in there. Unlike the OP, I removed material from the casv rail part being inserted into the receivers stripper clip guide. For the life of me, I don't understand why you would grind on the rifle's receiver to install a rail guide? Another reason I stay away from buying guns modified by non-gunsmiths. I'll buy a modified gun, but not for what any of you think it's worth after it's been built with a hammer and torch.
Well
For what it’s worth, the guns not for sale. One part has some scratches from a hammer. I expressly told the guy helping me do it (I don’t know the first thing about m1a’s. Well maybe the first, but not the second) that I didn’t care about the stripper clip guide getting scratched, I cared about getting it functional. I respect your point of view just fine, but just understand this is a gun I would not sell. I’ve wanted one for so long and had to to go through a lot to get it/ that rail. It’s gonna get more scratches and dings along the way, too. But it performs great!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Since your destined to not part till death, take a look at the SOCOM sub-forum, under the Modern M1A forum.
Lots and lots of leg work, trial and error, of accuracy improvements, and field testing have been shared with the true gurus of this site. You've already started down one avenue with the VOLTOR stock. They use a modified GI fiberglass wich also can be bedded and stiffened up. You will soon find yourself traveling down the SOCOM rabbit hole, making improvements to your own. Before you know it, you'll be lusting after another variant of an M1A, such as an EBR or E2 DMR, or a classic wood and steel standard length 22'' barrel. Then it's time to look at the different barrel weights .......

Sorry for the future beatings I have just inflicted on your pocket/wallet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since your destined to not part till death, take a look at the SOCOM sub-forum, under the Modern M1A forum.
Lots and lots of leg work, trial and error, of accuracy improvements, and field testing have been shared with the true gurus of this site. You've already started down one avenue with the VOLTOR stock. They use a modified GI fiberglass wich also can be bedded and stiffened up. You will soon find yourself traveling down the SOCOM rabbit hole, making improvements to your own. Before you know it, you'll be lusting after another variant of an M1A, such as an EBR or E2 DMR, or a classic wood and steel standard length 22'' barrel. Then it's time to look at the different barrel weights .......

Sorry for the future beatings I have just inflicted on your pocket/wallet.
I like to think I’ve already conquered this affliction, trimming my collection down from 15 guns or so to 4, and considering a 5th. I find that with too many options, it’s easy to be dissatisfied with any pick. This way, I have a short rifle for the house / car / urban environments where I live, and a bigger rifle rifle for longer shots / shooting through cover / etc. my prior “bigger rifle” was an AK variant, and although it had a longer barrel than my mk18, ballistically it wasn’t doing much different, especially considering how much bigger and heavier it was. So I decided if I’m gonna have a big rifle to compliment my small rifle, it might as well be a .308, and since i always wanted a socom, it seemed like the obvious choice. Sold the AK, an EOtech, and 1k rounds of wolf x39 for the socom II, VLTOR chassis, some m80, and a bipod and other accessories that I’ll just include with the cluster rail if/when I sell it. Hopefully you’re wrong because at this stage in my life I’m already pushing it owning these quality level of firearms. Guess we’ll see.
For the record the fifth would be something like a full size AR, but really I question the need for that, and whether if I had to grab two guns and leave, I’d grab something like a Virtus over the mk18, or conversely, the Virtus and mk18 and exclude the socom. Can’t really see it. Probably just save the money and try to get some land.

·
Registered
60 Posts
View attachment 468279

Good to know, thanks! Hopefully mine will fit nicely where I won’t have to file too much!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sharp ... really sharp
Thanks, man ! When I got it, it had the huge bulky quad cluster rail. To be fair? It’s kind of cool …. If you don’t plan on actually walking around with the thing for long distances. Also, the bipod and a grip (no clue why the previous owner put an angled grip and not a vertical on it) are the only things I can see adding, and I might well throw some kind of short stubby vfg or handstop on this one. But the way the previous owner had it set up, you could only use afg if the bipod was open, and when the bipod was closed, there was really no way to grip the gun firmly. Go figure. That being said? Short of a possibly small VFG if I can find a way to mount it to the naked chassis holes, I’m absolutely thrilled. It can take shots at several hundred yards like it’s nothing, but searching room to room with it isn’t out of the question at all. I have to say, once I throw a sling on it (shoot, that’s two things i forgot), it will make quite the companion to my little one-off mk18 (lower is a Seekins with a trigger, controls, and pistol grip I much preferred to the stock DD lower, and I happened to find someone with the typically SBR only mil spec + upper for “paltry” $1000. It still hurts thinking about that, but when you purposefully put off having a family for your chosen career, then lose that career, I suppose this is what you spend your money on. I’ve gone on a rant now, I can tell without even scrolling up so I’m just gonna hit post. My fault.

20 Posts
Good to know, thanks! Hopefully mine will fit nicely where I won’t have to file too much!

Absolutely! I bought that from Desert Warrior Products when they existed. As I remember, the VLTOR instructions say nothing about the stripper clip guide (other than consult a gunsmith if you don't know what you are doing). Except it doesn't need to be there anymore. Extensive research, on this website's forums, and the internet in general yielded me going to the SADLAK website and obtaining the pdf document entitled :Stripped Clip Removal dot peedeeeff

Very informative. On page one of said document, you learn that using a hammer or driving said guide in wrong direction can DAMAGE THE RECEIVER (micro cracks at thin cross section). It is a very good step by step GUNSMITHING method of removal/ installation of anything in the stripper clip guide dovetail.

There has never been one job on this platform that I have rushed. Consequently - I WOULD BET MY LIFE ON THIS PARTICULAR WEAPON.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Absolutely! I bought that from Desert Warrior Products when they existed. As I remember, the VLTOR instructions say nothing about the stripper clip guide (other than consult a gunsmith if you don't know what you are doing). Except it doesn't need to be there anymore. Extensive research, on this website's forums, and the internet in general yielded me going to the SADLAK website and obtaining the pdf document entitled :Stripped Clip Removal dot peedeeeff

Very informative. On page one of said document, you learn that using a hammer or driving said guide in wrong direction can DAMAGE THE RECEIVER (micro cracks at thin cross section). It is a very good step by step GUNSMITHING method of removal/ installation of anything in the stripper clip guide dovetail.

There has never been one job on this platform that I have rushed. Consequently - I WOULD BET MY LIFE ON THIS PARTICULAR WEAPON.
In my defense, I was on the phone with VLTOR while using the torch and hammer. They said it was fine. Nothing about it was rushed, and we spent an extra day waiting to be able to talk to them directly. I wouldn’t bother owning a weapon if I couldn’t trust my life to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts