M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago I picked up an ARMS #18 mount and a Millett DMS 1-4x to put on my M1A. I did as much internet snooping and question asking as I could before settling on some Millett mid height see through rings to make it all work. Turned out the rings were higher than they needed to be and it really bothered me. I hated the way the optic towered above the action and made a decent cheek weld impossible. So I went to a local gun shop I like and picked up some Leupold high rings that measured out to be a good fit for getting the height I wanted and went home to put them on. Turns out that even though they were shorter than the Millett rings, I still had the ability to go even lower. So I took the rifle in this time to get it right without all the back and forth. Turns out I was able to squeeze the Leupold qr lows on and just clear the rear sight aperture. I am much happier with how it all sits now and even though cheek weld is not as good as with the irons, it's much better and can be improved easily with a simple cheek riser. I also like how much slimmer and less bulky the new rings are. The Millets were so overkill and a total pain to get fitted on the ARMS mount.

I wanted to post this because I know that lots of people were asking the same questions I was when I first put the optic on and there seemed to be little to no solid info on how low you could go. The rings are listed as being .230 from the base of the ring to bottom of the scope tube. Hope this helps some of you in search of a similar scope mount combo.
Brad

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The set up looks great. Thanks for sharing the information and making others choices easier in the future.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
You look like one crazed SOB that means business with that rifle in your shoulder. Shouldering an M14/M1A will kind of bring that out in a man. Bad-ass bro!!!!!!!! Looks great....

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I am always trying out different scopes and different mounts on different M14 rifles, so I am a BIG fan of quick release rings. One of my favorite type of QR rings is the Leupold QRW , ak Quick release Weaver. The QRW rings are designed to fit properly on a WEAVER dimensioned rail, and on some wider rails, or rails with too shallow cut cross slots, or on some so called “Picatinny Spec” rails, they may not mate up properly. The Leupold QRW screws have enough adjustment to open and close on the wider rails, but the adjustable side clamp may be tilted considerably.

See the thread @ for a few informative pictures:
http://m14forum.com/optics/93835-leupold-qrw-rings-ultimak-rail-handguard.html

I am testing out a new prototype CASM mount, which replaces the fantastic [ but complicated ] M14 rear sight with a simple little hole drilled into the back of the mount. The basic minimal rear BUIS. That simple hole [ you could call it a rear aperture peep sight if you want to sound impressively technical ] is currently NON-adjustable, which means that I need to get the hole pretty close to "JUST RIGHT" for height. The M14 front sight IS adjustable for windage, so horizontal adjustment is not really an issue.

If you choose the right rings and scope, you can use the CASM BUIS WITH the scope still mounted. So far, using the QRW LOW 1" rings, you can use the rear CASM built in rear BUIS with scopes that have front objective lenses smaller than 45 MM. A 50 MM front objective bell intrudes too much into the sight channel. With HIGH rings, a 50 mm objective works just fine, but with the scope mounted higher on an M14, really are better with a cheek riser at the comb.

The CASM mount is a bit higher than the ARMS 18, but because it IS higher, it is not subject to the all too common "ejected brass caught between mount and op rod" issues of the lower mounts. And as mentioned above,
you can use the CASM BUIS WITH the scope still mounted.

CASM prototype M14 scope mount with rear BUIS, Leupold QRwOW rings, and a Bushnell Scopechief VI 2.5 - 8X scope.

The weird science experimentation continues.
[;)
LAZ 1

·
Registered
637 Posts
I love QR rings and had a set of Warne QR's but had to give them up for Burris Signitures due to my ARMS 18 causing loss of windage adjustment issues. I wish they made Burris Signitures in quick release, they are fantastic rings and would be perfect if you could remove them quickly without tools.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How many rounds have you put through you M1A with that Millet DMS? I may have gotten a beat up lemon but I shot less than 80rnds through my SOCOM 16 with that same scope and my illumination knob fell off the scope. I'm planning on sending it back to Millett but they have to determine if I damaged it before they replace it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have about 300 or so rounds down range with it on the rifle, so far so good. I have seen a few people complain about the DMS optic, but the overall consensus is pretty positive. I also know that M1As tend to be hard on optics and that might have somthing to do with it. Most guys using them have them mounted on a M4 in which case it should hold up better. My plan was to try it on the M1A and if it broke to send it in, get a new one, and switch it to my M4.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Very nice ... I just receive the same scope the other day ... and i believe myrings are the same ... you MADE that brake??? Love the look and by the sounds of it it functions great! Cheers,

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

p.s. what would one cost to make another?

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
ARMS 18 is definitely a winner in my book. Sometimes takes a little work but they're worth it. My Scout pictured below took it's ARMS mount with no mods just bolt it on. My Standard has shown it needs a little bit shaved from the mount to get to level with the bore. I was almost not gonna mess with it cause it was leaning forward and giving me all kinds of scope adjustment for long range. Couldn't stand not being square so I'm currently shaving and testing.

Lots of tidbits here:
http://m14forum.com/modern-m14/87750-leupold-m4-scout-using-arms-18-a.html

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.