M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well actually I've re-finished many now. This is Lucky 13 and is the first of the birches that turned out the way I wanted. Before working on any of the nicer stocks I've acquired recently, I bought one six-pack each of "plain janes" and select-plus birches and one P-grade big red walnut.

The walnut was fairly simple and I was only looking to keep it traditional, but the birches were a different story. Armed with the new techniques passed from Wade aka "Doug Carlton" and M1Army I set out on my journey of rifle stock re-finishing.

Most of the plain janes were pretty rough, but that's what I wanted and the effort required on those taught me a lot. I used them to learn dent repair (I think I've got that down now) and sanding techniques. I also used three different kinds of oils and like the experts on the board, concluded that teak oil works the best. All but one are very "plain janey" so I didn't learn much in staining, that I reserved for the select-plus stocks.

The select-plus, is only second from the bottom in Fred's grading, but is a definite upgrade over the plain janes; and after seeing examples of Fred's other grades I think a real bargain. While most of them are still fairly plain, one has a real nice leopard pattern, and this one which I paid extra for, has the stripes. Probably the most difficult process for me to learn has been getting the right mix for staining. It's taken much trial and error to get the color to somewhat how I want it, but I've learned that the natural color of the wood plays a bigger part in it than I do.

Anyways this stock is a select-plus grade and that means dents, dings and sometimes arsenal repairs; this stock had all of them. So from rough sanding to wet sanding with 2000 grit paper and museum wax, this baby is done. Lucky 13 now resides on my SOCOM and since this is not a P-grade stock and already has "character" I don't have to worry if I add more character.

Thanks again to Doug Carlton, M1Army, and others for all the help and insight into this project. Now I have confidence to start working on the real nice pieces.

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
SUMO -Excellent work - I know you have been working on the plain jane stocks for a while so I was excited to see your first Pic! The stock looks fantastic and actually preparing the stocks yourself for refinishing, striping, sanding as needed, learning all the angles and steps is the first key! This is the ONLY way to learn [lot's of trial "ERROR" - re-doing and tons of patience]. Then you finally get all the prep work nailed and get ready to mix your first "stain mix" and application then the learning starts all over again, then on to teak oil, wet sanding, buffing etc. etc.

It looks like you worked your way through it perfectly!

Look forward to more posts and pics and can't wait to see some of your work on the recent stocks Wade picked for you!

Great Job - M1Army

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
That is a real beauty. Nice to see what can be done with an innocuous piece of wood.

Reactions: Sumo

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Nicely done Sumo! Great looking stock. I love the look of a SOCOM in wood and that tock makes it look all the better.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Very good job. That stock came out great.

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
looks great! Another sweet birch to turn heads.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. Liberal application of Teak Oil really brought out the subtle stripes on the left side of the stock, my early days of BLO and Tung Oil would not have done that. My recent use of Watco Danish oil also left a coat on the outside (varnish?), and did not penetrate nearly as good as the Teak Oil.

This was #12, a select-plus stock that really looks more like exc+ in condition. It has a beautiful mottled/leopard pattern and finished very nice, but the staining did not turn out how I wanted. I've thought about re-doing it, but its kind of growing on me lately.

·
Banned
2,951 Posts
Beautiful!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well its taken a week to finish but its done. This was the stock that Wade (Doug Carlton) had picked out for "minusthebearrepublic" from his initial Fred's run that was left behind. I PM'd bearrepublic and he said he was keeping the alternate stock that Wade had gotten for him and that I was welcome to it.

Well my fingers couldn't dial fast enough; got a hold of Jack (Fred) and asked him for the stock that was set aside by Wade (Wade is the stock-picking man). Well I can say I'm very happy how it turned out. This is going to dress up my 87' Springer very nicely!

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
you're going to have a whole stable soon!

Great job!!!

Did it have an "O" stamped on the butt under the plate? I never got to find out....looks like a TRW to me...something about the lightning bolts....gggrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you're going to have a whole stable soon!

Great job!!!

Did it have an "O" stamped on the butt under the plate? I never got to find out....looks like a TRW to me...something about the lightning bolts....gggrrrrrrrr
Hey Wade; yes it's a TRW. This was the darkest colored stock that I've finished so far. Wasn't sure how the staining was going to work out as I've been tinkering with the mix but I really like the subtle reds that came out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts