M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to share of a pic of my SAI M1A's as hopefully the sheer craziness of having 4 rifles (that look identical..save markings..) will deter me from any further M1A purchases..lol

The rifles going left to right are:

A just after "pre ban," 85k serial range rifle which came to me while working a deal on a DSA STG58..found out it had the box, all accessories, all USGI parts (save stock and receiver of course), was a very fair deal, and had a gorgeous WRA barrel.. so "HAD" to buy it..ended up with 2 nice rifles (the STG is equally nice..lol)...It is all Winchester with a Sept 1963 barrel date and the TE measures under 1.

The second rifle I've posted a pic of before...bought it for a song earlier this year and is a true "pre ban," 48k serial range. I'm pretty sure it was unfired or very lightly fired. I had originally just planned on keeping it a hodge podge of its' USGI parts, but after buying the 85k serial rifle said "what the heck..." It is all HRA and a "keeper."

The third rifle is a very early "pre ban"...one of the first rifles SAI IL built according to SAI. It is just over 3k in serial and is all TRW.

The fourth rifle is in the 100k range and is all HRA. This is the rifle that started it all for me...my one representative example bought back in 1997 or 1998 by me...wish I had kept the box, but oh well. It was bought as a "loaded" rifle. I will say the birch stock is noticeably heavier than walnut.

It is pretty cool to see the progression in QC and parts content. It has been fun "hunting" parts but I think I'll give it a rest for now...four is definitely enough...and the spare TRW parts can stay in the drawer..lol

Greg

The "Winnie"

The 48k HRA

The TRW

The 100k "Birch" HRA

·
Premium Member
7,978 Posts
Those are some real fine rifles you have there! I am so jealous and I do not get that way often. Been working towards a collection like yours for a while now, I don't see an end in sight. I just keep buying parts where and when I can.

Congradulations on a very nice M14 rifle collection.

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! It literally kind of took on a life of its' own...I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right times for the Winnie and 48k rifles and if I didn't buy them I'd have been mad at myself..I figure worst case hang on to 2 and sell 2 at some point...but that isn't anytime soon. :)

They are all different in some way (stock, slings, or handguards) so they each have their own "personality." Hopefuly I'll be able to shoot them later this summer after softball calms down...

I do know where a nice complete Winchester parts kit is..not overly cheap at @$1300 but a nice start..IM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
426 Posts
That business of leaning those 4 rifles against the handrail ain't gonna' cut it. Let me refer you to the July 1964 version of FM 22-5, Section 72. Next time, let's see those rifles at Stack Arms.DISHOUT

They sure do look good, though. I'm more than a little bit jealous.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
An extremely nice collection . The Winchester barrel on my M1A SportMaster is a Sept 63' build also, they probably passed near each other on the assembly line.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Beautiful rifles! You have a collection anyone here would be envious of!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
That's a nice collection!

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm on the fence about doing a SA rifle. If the 48k had another barrel when I bought it.. I probably would have definitely did SA. The barrel was a like new HRA.. so left it on the receiver. If I can find the parts I might just do it to round it out and have all manufacturers represented. How many parts did SA do? All correct? Anyone have any good SA parts laying around? Lol

·
Premium Member
7,978 Posts
I'm on the fence about doing a SA rifle. If the 48k had another barrel when I bought it.. I probably would have definitely did SA. The barrel was a like new HRA.. so left it on the receiver. If I can find the parts I might just do it to round it out and have all manufacturers represented. How many parts did SA do? All correct? Anyone have any good SA parts laying around? Lol
The biggest problem with doing an S.A. build is finding a good barrel. Most of the other parts are out there if you don't mind them being used.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts