M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched a bunch of old threads but haven't come across the answer to my questions yet.

What is the best material to use at home to fill in the selector notch? I currently have some JB Weld, Epoxy, and Bondo around home. Also what do people use as a form release? Can you use a film of petroleum jelly, axle grease, or cooking spray for that?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've seen something here, or maybe in the M14 Complete Assembly Guide. It involved using small brads driven into the stock (or holes drilled into the stock) to provide support for the material used to fill the selector notch. As to the material, JB Weld or bedding compound would both work.

FWIW I'm filling mine with a dummy switch, but I'm going for a traditional GI appearance.

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
Any epoxy that will fill the hole would work just fine. Take your pick; JBweld, PC-7, Bisonite, Marine Tex, Devcon....

You can use clay to make a wall, tape some cardboard on the side of the stock and sand to match the surface when it hardens.

I've done wood and fiberglass the same way.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I have searched a bunch of old threads but haven't come across the answer to my questions yet.

What is the best material to use at home to fill in the selector notch? I currently have some JB Weld, Epoxy, and Bondo around home. Also what do people use as a form release? Can you use a film of petroleum jelly, axle grease, or cooking spray for that?

I used duct tape to form the walls, and pulled it off after the fiberglass resin hardened. But I think tonybens idea of using cardboard would be better. I did drill a couple of holes in the middle section and installed a couple of roll pins to add support to that area. dozier

·
Registered
375 Posts
There's always the "dummy selector switch"!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I built a wall using cardboard, inside and out on my USGI plastic stock and filled it in with JB Weld. I then sanded the JB Weld down to match the contours of the stock. I then painted the stock in woodland cammo. This has been several years ago and the paint is still just fine and the JB Weld hasn't turned loose.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Yes indeed, Hawks M14 button works just fine and I have one on one of my Polytech M14's. However my USGI plastic stock is the one I filled in with JB Weld and then cammoed it and I presently have my preban M-1A in it. I have my other Polytech M14 in a cherry USGI walnut stock and that's the one I have Hawks dummy button installed in and it looks most good too...

7th

·
Registered
71 Posts
Filling it in with bedding compound is messy, in my opinion. I have cut a piece of wood to match most of the shape, nailed or screwed it in place, and used bedding all around it to hold it in and make the shape fit the stock. A little lighter and cleaner, but it helps if you have a dremel or bandsaw.

-- Dan

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
If you cut some grooves in the void area, you don't need to use pins or threaded pins. Just stay away from the outside edges of the stock that shows. Also, on many stocks around the rear void area, the edges of the wood or fiberglass stock sort of blend/taper into the void (ion the outer edges). I have found it is best to cut the rear void area just a little bit larger when the surface tapers in so you have a full surface around where you are going to fill it in. That way, you don't have a problem filling the void.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I think I will tackle this project this weekend and maybe get a coat of paint on it before I have to go back to work Monday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.