M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

I was hoping to get some opinions on the best web gear and M 14 magazine pouches available. Best meaning quality,versatility, and comfort.

I would like to carry at least 6 to 8 spare mags. It has been a long time since I was in the Army, and I know the gear is much better now.

I belive I have the holsters chosen for 1911's. Will probably go with standard WW2 type from El Paso Saddlery, (expensive) if I can not find good condition used ones.

Would an Army surplus store be a good choice or should I go with a private distributor?

Thanks for any input.GI2

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

I was hoping to get some opinions on the best web gear and M 14 magazine pouches available. Best meaning quality,versatility, and comfort.

I would like to carry at least 6 to 8 spare mags. It has been a long time since I was in the Army, and I know the gear is much better now.

I belive I have the holsters chosen for 1911's. Will probably go with standard WW2 type from El Paso Saddlery, (expensive) if I can not find good condition used ones.

Would an Army surplus store be a good choice or should I go with a private distributor?

Thanks for any input.GI2
Depends on what turns your crank.

IMO, most chest rigs leave a lot to be desired as I don't like the idea of laying on my mags if I have to go prone to shoot. I personally don't think anyone can go wrong with the basic GI
"Y" harness setup, but there are lots of options out there.GITEN

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you m1a shooter and GARRARD, I will be checking it all out. I got some extra mags and am looking forward to creating the perfect gear set up.

Hey m1a shooter, I grew up in Houston (13 years of my childhood) got friends and family there.

Texans rule! LNGHRN

·
Registered
844 Posts
You could go old school US Army, like I did....

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
The original canvas pouches for the M1956 gear aren't hard to find and work well although the mags do rattle a bit. A BAR belt is hard to beat if you want to carry 12 mags. The Navy versions of the nylon vietnam pouches are occasionally found that hold two mags and fit on alice gear. These last are my favorites but hard to find. New Molle type pouches are everywhere, some good and some not so good. But they don't work well with combat suspenders and belts like the LC1 or M1956.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Want to carry 12 mags as in a BAR belt? Same idea, but with modern nylon 782 gearGITEN

The SAW pouches hold 6 mags a piece with Magpuls on every other mag to prevent rattle. They're cheap and fairly common, available from various manufacturers.

·
Registered
526 Posts
IMO, most chest rigs leave a lot to be desired as I don't like the idea of laying on my mags if I have to go prone to shoot. I personally don't think anyone can go wrong with the basic GI "Y" harness setup, but there are lots of options out there.GITEN
I totally agree, personally I use a "Y" Harness and a new MOLLE vest. However they can make you spend a lot of time getting it "just right". GI4

And yes going prone is just fine with the way the pouches are arranged. Mind you I only carry 3 magazines while hunting (of the 5/10 variety. GI2

Dimitri

·
Registered
240 Posts
I personally really like the MAV, from Tactical Tailor..Not the best pic, but I run 4 "shingle"mag pouches, and a double pouch..very well made stuff, in WA state.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts