M14 Forum banner

few newb questions.

700 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  gulliver62
Just got my first M1A. It is a used SA Standard with black synthetic stock. The serial number on the receiver does not match the one on the bolt. Should this be a concern?

Also, plan on changing out the rear aperture for a NM one by Kreiger. Front sight has already been changed to a NM.

Plan on shooting a lot of surplus through this weapon. Are their any makes and years to avoid? Additionally, what surplus is recommended?

Eventually I plan on scoping this rifle for longer range shooting, but for now I am comfortable with irons.

Thanks in advance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,300 Posts
The bolt will not have the same serial # as the receiver. Check out the sticky in the ammo forum for ones that people prefer and read the one on indian ammo (don't buy it).

· Registered
1,141 Posts
CMI mags are great, USGI are great also. No need to buy SA ones (not sure that CMI doesn't make them anyway). Try 44mag or the PX

NM rear aperture it a better view (in my opinion). Remember the windage is still 1 moa and not 1/2 on the standard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.