M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm seriously considering replacing the one that is on my ebr hybrid stock as it is quote pitted. I've cleaned out the rust, it still looks structurally sound, just ugly. It's heavily staked On there. I'm worried that if I remove it that it may weaken the that area. Should I leave it be and live with it or replace it? I could just cost it in jb weld and reshape it I suppose. Well post pics tonight.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,193 Posts
Brownells sells them too...
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/stock-hardware/rings/ferrule-front-prod21418.aspx
I have gotten them off pretty easy by drilling a hole from the inside and knocking the dimple out with a pin punch or just gripping the front edge with a pair of Visegrips and wiggling it of a little at a time changing sides.
if you knock out any chips or want to fill the holes after drilling use a epoxy stick [the kind where you cut off a piece and knead it until its mixed] and push it in to the hole of voids and sand it when it sets.

Casey

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Art Luppino posted a thread down below that you might want to consider if you're going to order some new ferrules for several stocks you already own. Specifically, you might choose to hold onto the parts until you actually build a rifle on a particular stock. Sometimes the ferrule will need to be lowered a bit to get barrel draw with the barreled action and trigger group locked into the stock. X-Acto knife, wood shavings, epoxy or Gorilla Glue will let you station the ferrule anywhere you want it.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Good thread! I have cut the ferrules off with a dremel and a cut off wheel. I made a tool from vice grips to create new dimples. Something else to think about related to this is the stock liner. If you are not centered in the ferrule or don't have good draw pressure you might fix it by swapping the stock liner. I have found it best to start the liner screws, but not tighten them, then put the action in the stock and man handle it some. If you get things lined up better then finish tightening the liner screws. You may have to try more than one stock liner and/ or do a little adjusting on it. GI3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.