M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this done? I think various trade names are "Black Nitride", "Tenifer", "Melonite" and likely a few others. They all appear to be more or less the same with some proprietary variances.

I mentioned it to a barrel maker who pretty much wigged out at the thought. They said the bath could spike too easily and cook the heat treatment out of the metal. This would result in the barrel becoming a "noodle". While I like noodles. I'd rather not have my rifle turn into one.

If there was a safe way to do this, it looks like a great finish, very hard, very slippery and it works on stainless. That way several stainless barreled rifles I have could be the same color.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well...used the magic search button. Looks like a fair amount of info on this. Anyone have personal experience?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well...used the magic search button. Looks like a fair amount of info on this. Anyone have personal experience?
The most important thing is knowing the material and what the original heat treat temp was. If it's a barrel, the manufacturer should be able to help you. If you use someone who has done a lot of nitrocarb'ing for gun parts, they should have a decent data base to work from. I would not have someone do this who has not worked with gun parts. MMI Trutec is who did my barrel and I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Barrel manufacturers err on the side of safety (and protecting their warranties).

Salt-bath nitrocarburizing is a fantastic treatment - I've personally had a Kreiger 22" stainless barrel shoot 0.75-1.0 MOA (regularly) after the treatment on an LRB M14SA action.

If you prefer a coating rather than a treatment (to avoid the heat), I would suggest Birdsong Black-T.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
We've been working with Nitriding for some time now, there's different processes for barrels, receivers, oprods, TGs, etc but if properly done it's absolutely at the top of the list of things to do to a M14, especially if you're a high volume shooter or plan on handing the rifle down to the next generation in your family

I'm in the process of building a M14 for myself (LRB rec, mint Winny GI parts & a 410SS match barrel) & it will definitely be Nitrited!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So where/who is the best place to do this? I saw there was a user named Losok that was all about this but his last activity was November of last year.

There's also another place in Ohio, H&M Metal Processing that do huge amounts but seem to be more of an industrial operation that also happen to do guns. Guns are not their primary application customer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I keep hearing of the dangers of ferritic nitrocarburizing and I'm sure they're very real but has anyone ever had their gun over cooked and ruined?

It sorta seems to me that the dangers are so well known that the real pros in this industry may be wise to its potential to play havoc with things like gun barrels, receivers and bolts.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I keep hearing of the dangers of ferritic nitrocarburizing and I'm sure they're very real but has anyone ever had their gun over cooked and ruined?

It sorta seems to me that the dangers are so well known that the real pros in this industry may be wise to its potential to play havoc with things like gun barrels, receivers and bolts.
What are well known dangers? Could your please provide links?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before I go down that route....I was on the phone with a well known barrel maker on June 2nd. I mentioned Ferritic Nitrocarburizing. His response was that a temperature spike would, not could, result in the metal losing its core hardness and in his words, "turn the barrel into a noodle".

Essentially it's pilot error that would cause the problem, as I understand it. So if your gun goes to a commercial outfit that aren't as careful as perhaps they should be with a firearm...well, you get the idea.

That's my point though. This problem is so well known that I'd like to find someone it has actually happened to.

Don't get me wrong...I'm a real fan of this finish. I just don't want to take any chances with my favorite toys.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
What are well known dangers? Could your please provide links?
There were a number of instances where the heat treat on certain actions was ruined because of the temp of the nitriding process. That was back when this process was first being introduced to firearms. These days you probably won't hear of too many cases. This is why I recommend MMI Trutec because I think they've been doing gun parts as long, if not longer than any one in the business.

·
Registered
628 Posts
That was back when this process was first being introduced to firearms.
Exactly.

Without even looking up the actual history of the first treatment on firearms, it has obviously been used on handguns (very) successfully since 1982. The process in some form has been around since the 1950s.

If anyone with the capability to do this treatment ruins your gun, they owe you a new one. It's not something you set up in your garage for a weekend project.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
We're going to be processing a batch of parts in the next few weeks so if anyone wants their M14 Nitrited contact me.....

M14 parts & armory services
828-414-4600 (shop line)
828-899-8888 (work cell)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts