M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys: Need a little help. Just shot my M1A for the first time and I am hoping someone could shed some light on a feeding issue. Shooting Radway Green British NATo rounds from the 90's and I prabably had ejected shells get caught a half dozen times. Shot maybe 60 rounds so about 1 problem for every 10 shots. Now it did seem to lessen the jams if I held the magazine back (put pressure on it). Since I am new to shooting semi-autos in general, it is more likely to be something I am doing wrong. So tell me the obvious if it is obvious to you. When you are new, nothing much is obvious. I know this site is full of knowledgeable shooters so any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

On me: Live in Atlanta; in the business of making business loans $500,000 and up mainly for real estate and equipment. Shoot up in North Georgia where I own a little property. Have wanted a M1A for several years and just got one. Also like S&W revolvers for the bears in the mountains! And yes, there are mountains in North Georgia (Appalachians or Blueridge).

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
If you haven't already done so, I'd do a basic cleaning to remove the factory grease, and re-lube it with pretty much any flavor of 'gun grease' or 'automobile grease'.
Also be sure to clean the chamber with patches, etc.

Another thing is to hold the rifle quite 'solidly' when firing to reduce the amount of movement on recoil - that way the gas system does the best job of extract & eject.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
"Death From Above"
11,923 Posts
Lots can cause your problems. Is it a new out of the box rifle? Check for any metal flakes in the chamber that may be leftover from finish reaming the chamber. Sometimes resistance in the action cycling can case short strokes, try the tilt test. Were you resting the rifle on sandbags? If so were you using a 20 round mag? What are the chances you were resting the weight of the rifle on the mag as you were shooting? Did it happen with all the mags or just one? Did it happen with each of the ammo you used?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
If it were my M-1A, I would immediately replace all of the bolt's internal parts with USGI parts. Then I would buy some USGI magazines and then try my rifle again. There are known issues with the cast commercial parts SAI is using in their M-1A's these days, especially the bolt's internals.

7th

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dont know if the symptons youre having are the same as mine however, I had feed problems which improved if I forced/held the magazine into the mag well while firing.

The mags have a lug on them which holds them in the proper position for feeding and proper bolt operation. My Mags were not right so I purchased CMI milspec mags from 44mag.com and lubed everything per the manual. I no longer have any feed issues.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I know it's rare but, I had a feeding issue right out of the box with my loaded. The firing pin was hanging up just slightly on the safety bridge and causing something similar to short cycling once in about 10-15 rounds. No-Expert helped me out and changed the bolt internals to USGI and identified the firing pin problem for me, which I later fixed myself. It really doesn't take much to mess up the works, just follow some of the good advice given above and you'll locate your problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.