M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a slightly used James river armory with a Rock-ola receiver. After the first 200 hundred rounds I have a consistent failure to feed 1 in every 5 magazine fails to feed, although the hammer is cocked and fires. The same results with 4 different 10 round magazines, 3 Checkmate and 1 Springfield, all new. Two different brands of NATO ammo. Rifle is super accurate, but failure to feed is extremely disappointing. Occasionally a round is jammed at a 30 degree angle in the breech. Any advice would be extremely welcome. Gas system is clean, although I haven't done a complete disassembly, just piston removal and cleaning.
Phil

·
Premium Member
17,498 Posts
Time to break your rifle down, clean it and grease all metal to metal contact areas. Do a good scrubbing on the chamber with a chamber brush and leave it dry and shiny.
Clean and lube will make her run like a champ.
You might also check the underside of the feed lips on your mags for burrs and sharp edges that might be cutting into your brass upon feed attempts. Checkmate makes the SAI mags so they should be the same. 10 rounders are noted for difficulty feeding.

Semper Fi
Art

·
Forum Jester
7,630 Posts
install new extractor/ejector springs to start.mark all your mags with numbers and see if this happens with all or 1 particular mag,or all the mags.might be a weak mag springs.
check extractor for burrs.

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
You are going to have to describe "failure to feed" with a little more detail.

Does the bolt strip the next cartridge from the magazine, or is it closing on an empty chamber?

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Kurt, in our terminology it is short stroking. He says it's cocked and fires which I assume means dry fires. I'm no expert but it sounds to me like it needs some oil/ grease.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Time to break your rifle down, clean it and grease all metal to metal contact areas. Do a good scrubbing on the chamber with a chamber brush and leave it dry and shiny.
Clean and lube will make her run like a champ.
You might also check the underside of the feed lips on your mags for burrs and sharp edges that might be cutting into your brass upon feed attempts. Checkmate makes the SAI mags so they should be the same. 10 rounders are noted for difficulty feeding.

Semper Fi
Art
I did a very thorough cleaning when I bought it. Chamber is shiny. All lubed up per the videos on You Tube. I'll check the mags. All 4 fail to chamber a round.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
install new extractor/ejector springs to start.mark all your mags with numbers and see if this happens with all or 1 particular mag,or all the mags.might be a weak mag springs.
check extractor for burrs.
I always number my magazines, habit learned when shooting competition. I bought 3 new magazines just to eliminate a bad mag.
I haven't replaced anything, but it seems the extractor assembly is the most common issue.
I was surprised no one thinks it might be a piston /gas problem. I am very liberal with grease and oil, so its probably not that.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Point the rifle in a safe direction and smoothly feed and eject a few rounds manually and observe how the tips of the bullets enter the chamber. If they're hitting below the feed grooves at the breech, you may have an out of spec op-rod spring guide. The back of the spring guide is what latches on to the front of the magazine. If this part is worn or out of spec, it can let the front of the magazine sit too low for smooth feeding.

·
Registered
All gun laws are unconstitutional
6,829 Posts
something doesn't add up.

Kurt, in our terminology it is short stroking. He says it's cocked and fires which I assume means dry fires. I'm no expert but it sounds to me like it needs some oil/ grease.
My M1A cycles just fine when it's bone dry.

They are not that finicky. or at least not suppose to be.

OP I'd be sending her back to JRA.

·
Forum Jester
7,630 Posts
still would look at the extractor/ejector spring issue first. gi extractor?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again. Is the bolt stripping the next round from the magazine?

What is Nato ammo? Does it have a name on it?
7.62 mm NATO, BALL, 150 grain FMJ by Isrsaeli Military

7.62 mm x 51mm M80 147 grain FMJ by ZQI ammunition

Bolt is not stripping the next round from the magazine.
Rounds are being ejected at about 3 o'clock

Thanks

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
I suspect the action simply isn't getting enough power.

1. The gas cylinder isn't lined up correctly.
2. The spindle valve is dirty or not fully open.
3. There is a grooved piston in it.
4. The gas plug is loose.
5. The ammo was not designed for an M14.

As stated above. Insert a loaded magazine, pull the oprod handle all the way to the rear and release it. Repeat. If each round chambers and extracts, then it is one of the issues I mentioned.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I suspect the action simply isn't getting enough power.

1. The gas cylinder isn't lined up correctly.
2. The spindle valve is dirty or not fully open.
3. There is a grooved piston in it.
4. The gas plug is loose.
5. The ammo was not designed for an M14.

As stated above. Insert a loaded magazine, pull the oprod handle all the way to the rear and release it. Repeat. If each round chambers and extracts, then it is one of the issues I mentioned.
Can you please explain the issue with a grooved piston? I'll go over that list tomorrow.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
The piston was not designed to have a groove in it. If you rifle has one in it and is short stroking than put a standard piston in it problem solved. The groove was meant to make high power loads with heavy projectiles easier on the rifle/oprod.

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
Can you please explain the issue with a grooved piston? I'll go over that list tomorrow.
Thanks
The grooved piston was intended to reduce gas port pressure when using slow powders to push heavy bullets. If using standard M80 grade ammunition, it lowers the port pressure below what is needed to send the bolt all the way to the rear. If the bolt doesn't go all the way to the rear, it doesn't strip the next round from the magazine.

3 o'clock ejection is typical of a commercial barrel.

·
Forum Jester
7,630 Posts
in the ar series,feed issues in most cases was solved by an extractor kit upgrade.

for this issue,i would remove bolt,check all sharp edges around extractor/ejector holes,completely strip bolt and clean it inside and out,and replace all springs with new made extractor/ejector. cheaper way to go to begin.
if orig gi bolt used,it might be original springs.which may be weakened due to being old and compressed for so long. you never know if older gi springs were used or newer production springs were used. orig gi springs are 40 plus years old.

then check and see if the problem persists.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts