M14 Forum banner

Federal Primer Problems????

1455 7
:? Has any Reloader here ever had any Problems with Federal Primers or Federal Ammo in an M1A/M-14? If so let me know, dont tell me what you heard somewhere,please stick to Personal Experiences or things you witnessed first hand. :?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I read that posting too. No, I put a thousand Federal ball rounds and a couple of boxes of gold match thru mine before I found a surplus dealer. I also reload, maybe two hundred softpoints with Federal primers.
No problems loading from the magazine.

I wouldnt worry about it. 8)

·
Registered
519 Posts
No problems here
That includes GM Match, American Eagle or Federal-Lake City surplus and that includes in .223 as well
M1A, FAL or bolt actions

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
No problems with American Eagle* , Fed/LC ball , Gold Medal Match(except price!) or standard red box. Sold and shot lots when I had my shop.

*Gotta admit , I haven't used a lot of Am Eagle lately. Not since they were white box with black lettering.

I've used only Winchester primers for the last 20 years or so.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have fired at least 2000 rounds combined of Federal GM Match ammo and my handloads using Federal cases and primers and all went bang just like they were supposed to.

I've loaded batches of old red box era FC cases five times without problems. After five trips through an M1A the case rim is so thrashed that it won't slip in and out of a shell holder easily and the primer pocket is worn enough that some of them feel loose when I press in a primer so I began tossing the cases.

Note: A few years ago when I was trying to make 180g bullets shoot well in a .308 bolt action I discovered that high pressure would extrude the case into the bolt face, make the bolt sticky to open and enlarge the primer pocket enough to let the primer fall out, but the supposedly thin cupped Federal primer looked completely normal. It was not flattened. The brass case failed before the primer cup.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I've used Federal Benchrest Primers for service rifle (M-1A) competition and they worked fine for me. However, I now use Winchester large rifle primers for all my 308 reloads, and they work just as well as Federal Match and are cheaper. Winchester primers are the way to go for service rifle.

As far as Federal COMMERCIAL 308 Brass goes. It is so soft, most experienced hipower shooters wont even pick it up after a match to reload. So factory ammo is a 1 shot affair.

How the Federal LC Training ammo works, which is supposed to meet GI specs, I have had no experience with that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.