M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a low ser. number fed ord (55xx) it is all usgi parts. I am wondering if these are the good fed ord receivers or the bad fed ord receivers or are they all hit or miss. All the mixed reviews on these things makes me wonder if I will even shoot it. I did the search thing and am more puzzled on the receiver quality after reading up on them. Any input will be appreciated. If I do choose to fire it I will always havedance2at the back of my mind.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
RE: FedOrd

Greetings,

Hi ggg33! Well, I think you have already discovered the main issue; inconsistency! They seem to range from great to bad.

Mine is S/N 8851, manufactured with all GI parts. I had problems with it from the start (I'm the 3rd owner, got it in 1995). Most were solved by replacing worn out parts. I suspect most of these were caused by lack of correct maintenance and lubrication; this could have happened with any brand. However, I'm not 100% positive that all of the GI parts were *new* when the rifle was first built. That's just a hunch............

The most serious problem with mine was an incorrectly cut OpRod track that prevented me from being able to install a new GI OpRod. After quite some time trying, I gave up and sent it to Mr. Ted Brown. He was somehow able to fit the rod and make it slide very smoothly. Since I've had it back, it's been functioning 100% and is pretty darn accurate. The barrel is a Winchester that Mr. Brown said measured close to new.

Couple of other points to mention as examples. I tried to install the barreled action in a different stock. It would not fit. The receiver legs are much further apart at the bottom than GI spec. The factory fitted stock had been modified to allow for this. So, that in conjunction with the OpRod track issue indicates to me that they did not adhere very well to either the drawing specifications and/or they had very loose manufacturing tolerance.

Another known problem could show up if you attempt to install a scope mount. The receiver left side is (again) not within spec. This had been an issue for me before. I'm going to give it another try using a Sadlak mount; these can be adjusted at the factory to accommodate receiver variance (though I don't know to what degree).

Best of luck with yours!

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
Have owned several FedOrds over the years and the only one that had a problem was from the one with a commerical bolt with no markings. Firing pin hole was to large and after firing a couple hundred rounds, the debris entering the hole stuck the firing pin. Replaced the bolt with a USGI bolt and no more problems. However, the machining and finish were not as good as SA Inc or Armscorp receivers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys. I am going to put some rounds down range this weekend and see how she works. The condition of my fed ord is like new as the park is not even worn off of the op rod rail. It makes me wonder why no previous owners really used this thing.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I had one I bought as a young 18 y/o Marine back in the late 80's. In fact my first of the M14 family that I owned.

I shot it a couple times and continuously had the op rod dismounting. I didn't know squat then and ended up returning it. The shop was real good about it. The shop owner said the factory replaced the op rod with another and they resold and the new owner said it ran great.

I wish I knew then what I know now. I might have kept it and figured out the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.