M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy just showed me his Federal Ordnance M-14 that he has had for years. I never knew until today. What is it they say? If you are hiding your vice from others you must have a problem. Applies to liquor, does it apply to guns? Anyway, I was wondering about the gun. I read Different's site and it mentions that Federal made guns with a variety of USGI and Chinese parts but nowhere could I find anything about what exactly was USGI and what was Chinese or about the quality of their rifles. Is there anything in particular that he should be worried about or is it a great rifle just the way it sits?

PS He has never fired it. He's had it for at least six years and never had it out. We are going to change that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Im sure if you do a search of this sight or others you will find out all you need to know. The ones Ive seen had mostly Chinese parts. The reputation of the receivers is pretty bad. I understand most of them are out of spec, some dangerously so.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
powmia56 said:
Anyway, I was wondering about the gun. I read Different's site and it mentions that Federal made guns with a variety of USGI and Chinese parts but nowhere could I find anything about what exactly was USGI and what was Chinese or about the quality of their rifles. Is there anything in particular that he should be worried about or is it a great rifle just the way it sits?
I was not able to find out a lot about Federal Ordnance M14 rifles but there is something about them in M14 Rifle History and Development. Here's what I found:

"When Federal Ordnance was started up by the owner, Bob Brenner, Jack Karnes went to work for Federal Ordnance. Federal Ordnance began production of its M14 type rifles in 1988 and ended around 1992. Karl Maunz supplied some receiver castings in 1987 to Federal Ordnance. Federal Ordnance receivers machined while Jack Karnes was on board were of good quality. 3 The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price for a Federal Ordnance M14SA in 1988 was $629.00. The rifles were sold with a one year parts and labor warranty.

Federal Ordnance built two types of M14 rifles, one with USGI parts and one with Chinese parts. USGI parts were used extensively in Federal Ordnance rifles through at least S/N 8877. Through at least serial number 3058 the USGI parts were taken off USGI M14 rifles imported from Israel. By serial number 205XX, if not earlier, Chinese and Taiwanese reproduction parts were used to assemble its rifles. Federal Ordnance sold complete rifles as well as stripped receivers."

You can also find some remarks on Federal Ordnance receivers and Chinese M14 parts in the M14 Parts FAQ at www.smithenterprise.com Also, there's no secret about the quality of USGI and Chinese M14 parts.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:? The Rifle pictured Below has between 25000 and 30000 Rounds thru it, It has won more Service Rifle Matches than I can Remember,It is on its 4th Barrel! Any Questions? ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Federal Ordinance issue is like the SA rifle issue. And doubtless once LRB, Fulton and others make more rifles like the LRB issue and Fulton ISsue. Oh lets not forget the chinese rifle issue and Tiawanses parts issue.

All of these rifles work. This one is supposed to have this issue. That one is supposed to have that issue. PFFFFFFFT I say. If the darn thing shoots who cares. If it breaks then just fix it and shoot some more. Just look at the poor man with the Federal Barrel issues. 4 barrels to get 30000 rounds off. Truly sad workmanship there. Doubtless a " fill in the blank" barrel would have done better. All nonsense I say. Shoot them till they break and then worry.

I like them all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is what Ive found as far as comments on Fed Ordnance stuff:

Many (most) of the Fed Ord M14's are unsafe to fire, IMHO. The company is no longer in business, so you have no warranty recourse.

They came in 2 flavors: Fed Ord receiver made for G.I. bolt & all G.I. parts (best case scenario since if the receiver is no good, at least you have some good parts); Fed Ord receiver made for Chinese bolt & all Chinese parts (worst case scenario, bad receiver & bad parts).

The common problems with the receivers include poor/no locking lug contact on one or both locking lugs of receiver/bolt interface; very poor op rod rail on receiver, causing op rod to fall away from bolt roller; rear sight receiver elevation serrations very shallow/non existent;

Hope this helps.

Clint McKee

The Fed Ord receivers are always off dimensionally - I've measured six of them over the last ten years, and each and every one had the firing pin retraction helix mislocated and mis-machined. Not one of them had the rear sight located square to the receiver.

If you know anything about M14 (and M1, ed.) rifles, you'll know the mislocation of the firing pin retraction helix is a disaster waiting to happen.

--Kirk Hays

I hope you have a good one, sounds like it. I agree that alot of us are nitpickers, Ive personally not run into one of the "bad" SA rifles but I dont discount those who have.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I've a FedOrd sn 21xxx. My guess is its Taiwan parts in it. But only time I had ever had trouble with it was a bad mag(don't buy mags from a pawn shop). Have a few thousand rounds threw it. Receiver doesn't show signs of abnormal wear anywhere.
HH

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
;) 4C_Ranch! I have been hearing Horror Stories about Fed. Ord. for Years and I have NEVER SEEN any of them foul up on any Range yet in my 35+ years of competing with M-14s!
As far as Clint McKee is concerned, you have to take everything he says with a Grain of Salt, he used to slam Armscorp Receivers also and now He has them make His! I shoot three different M-14s in Competition including a Fulton and an Armscorp besides the Fed Ord. and one is as good as the other! ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did the part time rangemaster thing a bit(3 years). I never saw a 14 by any maker fail to function except bad mags/ ammo. Only semi bolt failure I ever saw was a Browning Portugese 300 win mag. If I could find a Federal I would buy it and shoot the heck out of it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Two years ago, I bought FedOrd that had been through three owners. It has Chinese parts. It seems to be well fitted, although the finish is very rough. It may not be a tack driver, but it has been 100% reliable and one-gallon milk jugs out to 600 yards are in mortal danger.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D Gunrunner watch Your Headspace, the Chinese Bolts are Soft, I had to replace mine about a year after I got it but thats the only thing that was not right on the Rifle! ;)

·
Registered
927 Posts
I just bought a Fed. Ord.( serial# 39XX) with all H&R USGI parts(maybe a Israel import parts since it did have a sling with Hebrew writing on it ). I have not been to the range yet but have shot it here at home (100 yards) and had it checked out by Geff Corn. Mr. Corn said everything check out good.

I think Smith Enterprize has some info on the Fed. Ord. and seem to give the one's with USGI parts a thumbs up and said the recievers where very hard.

I think it's like anything you buy, you get a good one and every now and then you get a bad one. I bought a Springfield 45 auto and it was a P.O.S.,
I have a Springfield M1A that I have not had one single problem with it.

I now have 4 different brands of M14 type rifles and they all seem to be pretty descent to me. And I like the Fed. Ord. because I only gave about half of what a Springfield cost and it's all 100% H&R USGI. ;) My advise is, have it checked out by a good gunsmith and happy shooting. :lol:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Fed ord M-14

I have one also and mine has been fine the only problems I have had was an op rod that fell out of the rail . And this seems to have been caused by a well worn and poorly fitted op rod and replacement of the op rod fixed that. The other problem was a broken H&R Op rod which broke in the middle. My Serial no is 83xx and has all US parts I believe they are all TRW now. My sights have worked fine it hits where it is aimed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.