M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the scope on my M1A so went to the range to re-check zero. On a whim took along a box of Federal AE M1A 168gr OTM ammo. Best groups I've ever shot with this rifle. Does anyone know of a load that duplicates this round? I've done some searching but found nothing.
Thanks
C1

·
Super Moderator
11,120 Posts
It's good stuff! I had the same experience with it.

What brass, powder and primers do you have?

I use 43.0 grains of IMR-4064 in Winchester commercial cases with a CCI-200 primer seated to 2.815".

I get some good groups with it.

Tony.

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
The load should be the same as their Gold Medal Match, 43 grains of IMR 4064. The only difference is that they aren't using Sierra bullets or match primers.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Good stuff, nearly impossible to find. I have 120 rounds that I just pretend I don't have. I drove over 30 miles one day a few months ago just to pick up two boxes from a private party!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.
I have IMR4895, 4064. Some R15 and BLC2. Plenty of primers and brass LC and commercial stuff. What's strange is the AE OTM hands down out shot the FGMM is was also using. My loads were Federal AE M1A 168gr OTM, FGMM 168gr, WWB 147 grain and Radway surplus. I'll get target photo's up later today. I was absolutely amazed at the results. I'm working to see how close I can get this rifle (loaded in walnut) to shoot without doing major work on it. Right now it wears SS 10x42 on a Brookfield Precision steel mount with Burris rings, has Sadlak: spring guide and tin coated piston. Tubb recoil spring and hammer spring, and Tac-Pro cheek rest.
Regards,
C1

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right now limited to 100 and 200 yards. Can drive 1.5 hours and have access out to 1000 but my skill level is not up to anything more than 400 or 500 right now. And yes, I'd be interested in the load data.
Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, here's the targets. Upper left is Federal AE 168gr OTM, Upper right is FGGM 168gr, lower left is WWB 147gr, lower right is Radway Green, 4 shots each at 100yrds from bags on a bench.
Can't explain the 2 flyers in targets 1 and 2.

·
Super Moderator
11,120 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is a duplication of that load in Hornady's 9th edition in the service rifle section. If I could ever figure out how to post a picture on this site I'd post it for you. Meantime if you send me your email address, I'd be glad to email it to you.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Good stuff, nearly impossible to find. I have 120 rounds that I just pretend I don't have. I drove over 30 miles one day a few months ago just to pick up two boxes from a private party!

I just bought from TargetSports. If you buy 10 boxes (case) it came out to just under $19/box and free ship.

Has anyone figured out the investment from never loaded a bullet to loading consistent match grade quality? I can't decide if I should start or not. If it takes years to achieve match grade, I'm not sure I will.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Ok, here's the targets. Upper left is Federal AE 168gr OTM, Upper right is FGGM 168gr, lower left is WWB 147gr, lower right is Radway Green, 4 shots each at 100yrds from bags on a bench.
You'll go crazy trying to get these rifles to not shoot those "fliers". Lots of little things you can try (as well as big things) but no guarantees.

Most of the 168 and 175 grain match loads are moderate powder charges in th 2600fps range from a 24" barrel. Most of the time this means about 42 grains of the popular 308 powders.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
If it takes years to achieve match grade, I'm not sure I will.
Doesn't take years to make 'match grade' ammo. Regular dies, powder dispensers etc are more than capable of making accurate ammunition. The quality of your components and your load development process are the most important parts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Did these 4-round groups include the first (hand cycled) round loaded into the chamber? Sometimes that round will shoot to a different point than the subsequent automatically loaded rounds.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did these 4-round groups include the first (hand cycled) round loaded into the chamber? Sometimes that round will shoot to a different point than the subsequent automatically loaded rounds.
No, the flyers were like the second or third shots.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts