M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing a lot of playing with my Scout in the last few months and got the groups down pretty good with several different types of ammo. However, nothing compares to the Gold Metal Match 168s that I shot today.

Didn't make time to go to the range, maybe lazy, BUT check out my shooting from a rolled blanket at 88 long steps. The left target was 150 grain Winchesters. Center and right was FGMMs. The difference in groups just amazed me. Same position, same distance... Just some awesome ammo.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Sweet

I got the same results when I dropped the money on the GMM. I was so taken back by the performance I decided to start reloading. All that milsurp will be for shtf.

I built a loading bench in my garage, bought a RCBS Rock Chucker press, dies and a hole bunch more $h-t.

I hope to get to the range this weekend and let fly a few of the batches that I have worked up.

GGG Brass
CCI34 Primers
SMK 168's
41.3 IMR4895
2.80 COL

That's my core load. I worked up some others with the charges a little lower just to check.

I followed Art Luppino's procedure to determine the actual/real HS of my rifle. Tore down the bolt & resized brass until the bolt would just close on it & sized 3 to 4 thous. under that measurement.

Blah Blah Blah.

This is really honest fun.

Maybe you'll get the reload bug too.

Ain't it Sweet?

Ole Silver

·
Registered
48 Posts
You really can't beat loading your own ammo. Once you get all the equipment, the cost per round is going to be a lot less than any factory match ammo.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Reloading has been one of the best things about shooting. It has really made me more involved in the sport. I reload match ammo for about 45 cents a round when reusing brass, and 85 cents a round for new brass.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
reloading can shrink groups dramatically. But it is a pain to properly prep brass, reaming primer pockets, deburring flash holes, trimming etc. I have always done it but have never enjoyed it. Only enjoyed the results.

However, I would recommend that people not forget that ammo, primers, powder and projectiles are the easiest way to control shooting and the anti gunners know that. They'll be back. Stocking up on loaded surplus ammo is a defensive measure against those who would deprive us of our rights. So never forget that while you enjoy the fruits of reloading and the benefit of same. Keep buying ammo to store. It won't be there forever.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
GMM is good ammo, but not worth anywhere near what they charge for it. get into reloading, you can easily meet or exceed what GMM does, and for a lot less $$$$.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
i never ream primer pockets. am i evil and bad? lol hasent hurt yet.

just picked up a box of sierra matchkings today, gonna see how they hold up against the Amax out of my rifle.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
$0.43 each with current component prices

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks fellas. Ya'll have made some good points, especially costs. Love the accuracy but popping off a couple boxes frequently digs deep into my lunch money, ya'know.

Years ago I let my reloading stuff go with a move to another state. Maybe it's time to think about setting up again. Never dreamed it would make that much difference. Sure would be nice if GMM was available with huntin bullets.

·
Retired
4,768 Posts
For those into reloading, don't forget to try some 150gr. SMK bullets. Two of my M14's that I've shot with that bullet just loved them. One barrel is a USGI with 1/12 twist, 4 groove, and the other barrel is a Criterion 1/10 twist, 6 groove. Different barrels but same great accuracy with those bullets. Great for shorter range shooting out to 300 yards or so, and a little less recoil, so helps in the rapid stages in matches.GI1

·
Registered
558 Posts
i never ream primer pockets. am i evil and bad? lol hasent hurt yet.

just picked up a box of sierra matchkings today, gonna see how they hold up against the Amax out of my rifle.
I dont think reaming primer pockets really effects accuracy. Honestly, how could it? I think its more of a benefit to get good consistent seating depth so you dont end up with primers sitting a little higher than they should, which is more of a slam-fire safety issue, than anything else (though I never had a slam fire before doing it).

I ream the pockets now, although I think its a huge pain in the rear, and its like one of those things you start, thinking it will make a difference, but really doesn't (for highpower anyway) but now started, is hard to stop doing. Kind of like having a cell phone. Hard to not want to have it with you. Same thing, hard to think of going back and not doing it once you've started.

I wouldn't start it (for highpower service rifle) if I knew any better and hadn't started doing it already. Id much rather spend my time doing holding drills and dry-fire practice, but unfortunately Ive enslaved myself...

I think deburring flash-holes is beneficial though, even if it only amounts to making sure a piece of case cleaning media isn't stuck in the hole...

·
Registered
665 Posts
GMM is a good thing to have on hand.
Both to shoot AND to make a duplicate of (as best you can) using hand-loads.
Get or borrow a chrono and see what average MV (12 shot min sample) GMM does in your rifle then load up some SMK's at that same MV to get something similar in a hand-load.
Using the same OAL with the same projectile is usually a good starting point too.
The accuracy/precision bug is VERY addicting and handloaded is about the only way most of us can afford to scratch that itch with any regularity.

·
Registered
213 Posts
man i have national match m1a all tricked out with nightforce scope and ebr stock and i still cant shoot for sh*t. i can put like 20 rounds in maybe a 4 inch group bit thats all :/ ...not sure on what im doing. and my zero stop has become useless since i cant even get consistent group every time i go out to the range. its always in a different place from where it was last time.

its a saaaaad day in texas

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
man i have national match m1a all tricked out with nightforce scope and ebr stock and i still cant shoot for sh*t. i can put like 20 rounds in maybe a 4 inch group bit thats all :/ ...not sure on what im doing. and my zero stop has become useless since i cant even get consistent group every time i go out to the range. its always in a different place from where it was last time.

its a saaaaad day in texas
The rifle needs to be tuned. Take the parts off and start with the baseline rifle. Fire a couple of groups and set a base line for performance. Then start adding the new parts and retesting after each change. It's the only way to find out where your problem is.

If you can't get a NM to shoot 1 MOA or better then there is something wrong. I fired some 175gr FGMM recently out of my SOCOM and got

Your NM should do even better.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If you can't get a NM to shoot 1 MOA or better then there is something wrong. I fired some 175gr FGMM recently out of my SOCOM and got
What program are you using to get all the info listed? I see a MAX and ATC. Is MAX the outside edge to edge? ATC is a??? To Center? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
The program is called OnTarget and the link will take you to their site.

Max is the maximum center-to-center spread of the group.
ATC is the average distance that the impacts are from the calculated center of the group.

Reactions: Rapidray
1 - 19 of 19 Posts