M14 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Call Federal and ask them if they recommend FGMM in the M1. Problem solved.
I have sent them an email, hope to hear back soon. If not I will call them.

Surprised no one has addressed the powder charge of 54.2 grs. Am I the only one that thinks this is excessive for the M1? Considering that if it were a normal powder for the M1 its a gross overcharge and more likely its a much slower powder than the M1 is supposed to be comfortable with.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
I have sent them an email, hope to hear back soon. If not I will call them.

Surprised no one has addressed the powder charge of 54.2 grs. Am I the only one that thinks this is excessive for the M1? Considering that if it were a normal powder for the M1 its a gross overcharge and more likely its a much slower powder than the M1 is supposed to be comfortable with.
Was the cartridge you pulled from an old white box or the current red/black box? Did you pull more than round?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Does the 30-06 FGGM ammo seem to extract and eject empty cases more violently or further than typical USGI M2 Ball ammo, or reloads using 'standard' 4895 or 4064 loads?

My choice would be using 4064 because it is a fairly low density powder that fills a greater % of the case than 4895.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
628 Posts
Here is the reply from Federal:

"No it is not suitable for the M1, you risk damaging the op rod.
Thanks, Federal"

I will keep it for my bolt rifles.
Well, that response was certainly terse. ICONROLLEY

Federal might've taken all of an additional 3-seconds to identify or suggest what particular Match load within their brand might safely be used in your M1.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Well, that response was certainly terse. ICONROLLEY

Federal might've taken all of an additional 3-seconds to identify or suggest what particular Match load within their brand might safely be used in your M1.
Doubt there is one other than the M1 load they sell which shoots good, but its no match load.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How about a Garand Gear gas plug? Check out the data on their site. It covers a lot of different powder and bullet weights. Simple design with no adjustments needed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just got a box 0f 30-06 Federal Gold Medal Match ammo today. Pulled 2 cartridges apart and found 53.7 grains of powder. Looks like IMR style powder. According to the Sierra reloading manual this load is closest to IMR 4831 or Reloader 19. I don't know what Reloader 19 looks like.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Consulting my Sierra book, they show a charge of 54.2 grains Reloader 19 for 2700fps behind a 168 Sierra. That said, this is a full 4 grains and 200 fps below their posted maximum charge and velocity. The question that stands is would a reduced charge of slow burning powder still create excessive port pressure? FWIW my load data shows that 55 grains of WC852 was used to load 165 gain AP bullets to a velocity of around 2700 fps at the muzzle, that would put its burn rate close to that of IMR 4831. It's said that AP was cheaper to make and actually shot better than M2 in many garands.

My personal opinion: Tempest in a teapot. Hundreds of thousands of rounds of FGMM are fired through garands annually with no issues. I'd use it without hesitation in mine.
Port Pressure is an issue for the Garand. It was originally loaded with 4895 speed powder. Reducing charge weights of slow burning powders have a tendency to detonate. P. O. Ackley has a chapter in his book about this phenomenon.

I would not use anything slowed that 4064. No way 4831 or R19 is used in GMM.

I agree with you about Federal GMM being shot in M1s without issue.

Good Luck

Jerry

21 - 32 of 32 Posts