M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came into about 500 once fired 308 cases from Federal gold match ammo which was fired in Remington bolt action rifles. Is this brass any better than the regular Federal stuff, or should I save it for precision loaded ammo. I would hate to waste it on plinking rounds.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
FGMM brass is precision brass for the first firing. After that, nothing special. The brass is soft and the primers pockets open up by the 3rd firing. I've had to hold them in with primer sealant.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Kind of soft. I let them lay where they fall and don't bother to pick them up. I use LC and FC NATO brass for reloading. I could care less whether MG fired or not as I only use them another 3 times anyway. A case head separation during a rapid string often leaves shots unfired.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shame, its nice looking stuff. Just ordered 2K of Lake City once fired anyway. The FC was a freebie so nothing lost. I'll use them 1x in my bolt gun and leave em for the sweeper. TNX for the heads up guys

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Shame, its nice looking stuff. Just ordered 2K of Lake City once fired anyway. The FC was a freebie so nothing lost. I'll use them 1x in my bolt gun and leave em for the sweeper. TNX for the heads up guys
Hold on there. You can use them in your M14. I reload that same exact brass 2 times then the Primer pockets open up and won't hold a primer. Good luck getting them past 3 in a bolt gun unless your using some really light loads.

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
When there free take'm, load'm and then shoot'm. When there dead toss them in the scrap bucket and off too the recycle center. Your wallet will thank me........

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
I tell folks around here to load em up and save them for when you won't be able to police up your brass, like a 3-gun match or similar.

·
Registered
30 Posts
FC Brass

Greetings. I have found that Federal primers are a few tenths of a thousandths of an inch larger than all other primers. If you use Federal primers you can get a few more loads out of them. Also, you might want to chamfer the primer pockets. They seem to have a sharper corner than some other brass. Best of luck. DennyMac

1 - 12 of 12 Posts