M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the new American Eagle 7.62x51 thats made for the M1A?

The box says "for M1A"

Federals number is: A76251M1A

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I've used it in my M1A and 700 tactical. I can't tell the difference between it and GMM. Haven't used it past 600 yards but I don't think it would be a problem.

·
Registered
975 Posts
It uses the mil-spec CCI #34 primer to avoid slamfires and IMR-4064 powder to match the M-14 gas system..

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I have been looking all over the area for some. Just spotted it at the Costa Mesa gun show last time they were in town. I'll be picking up about 150 rounds at the end of the month. Will post on the results.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
I've seen it locally... too rich for my Scottish blood.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Federal M1A ammo

A little over $14. per 20 at Cheaper than Dirt.

I'll try some.

Gerry

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Sunday I was fortunate enough to pick up 20 fired cases from our range trip.
I tell you what that brass is Tough to re size compared to LC brass, so it will be good reloading fodder
And it seemed to shoot very well out of his 18.5" barrel

·
Registered
975 Posts
Sunday I was fortunate enough to pick up 20 fired cases from our range trip.
I tell you what that brass is Tough to re size compared to LC brass, so it will be good reloading fodder
And it seemed to shoot very well out of his 18.5" barrel
I don't know if the brass is any different from other Federal cases. I'd make sure the primer pocket aren't loose. Federal cases tend to have thicker case walls but thinner case heads, and this why the primer pockets expand and become loose. I wonder if the primers are crimped and just difficult to remove.. Federal cases are usually bit "soft" even though parts of them are thick. I think the commercial 30-06 M-2 ammo for the Garand has crimped primers.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's worth the money for GP. It averages about 2555 fps out of my 18.5" barrel. I used it at a Gunsite course where I shot 1200 rounds with no problems. Not pinpoint accurate but good enough not to embarrass on the range. A LOT BETTER than the AE 150grn FMJBT.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Federal M1A ammo

I got 2 boxes today.
Checked the ammo and found the bullet seating spotty at best.

Of the 40 I checked about 19 were consistant in seating depth. (within .002 either way)
About 10 were .004 over,
7 were about .005 under,
and of the last 2,
one was .012 over and the other was about .007 under.
So the possible extreme spread was about .019.
Thats a little bit much for me to be comfortable.

The powder was 43.0 and it sure looked like 4064.
The bullet was an exact match for the Sierra 168gr HPBT match but they showed various marks and dings on their surface. Not all but some.
Case length was longer than the Sierra and other books call for but only by about .005.
The primer had some kind of purple dye on it and I don't know
if it was sealant or just some kind of ID dye.

One strange fact came out.
I looked at the latest Federal ammo brochure and it said the primer used in this round was the 210 Large rifle federal primer but I have heard it said on a few blogs that they used the mil spec primer . I think it's the #34.
I tried to contact federal about this but so far, no response.

I haven't shot it yet but from what I've seen it's probably pretty acceptable within limits. Since there were some bullets that were over the norm in seating depth I was considering just seating them lower to match the others and using the rounds that were under for warm up or even disassembling them and reseating the bullets.
But thats a bit much.
I guess for about $14.00 per box, if you don't reload and buy in bulk they are a good deal.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've shot the Federal M1A ammo through mine and it shoots good, however, my M1A likes to be fed the Federal 175 gr.
Sierra match kings for it's best accuracy.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I got 2 boxes today.
Checked the ammo and found the bullet seating spotty at best.

Of the 40 I checked about 19 were consistant in seating depth. (within .002 either way)
About 10 were .004 over,
7 were about .005 under,
and of the last 2,
one was .012 over and the other was about .007 under.
So the possible extreme spread was about .019.
Thats a little bit much for me to be comfortable.

The powder was 43.0 and it sure looked like 4064.
The bullet was an exact match for the Sierra 168gr HPBT match but they showed various marks and dings on their surface. Not all but some.
Case length was longer than the Sierra and other books call for but only by about .005.
The primer had some kind of purple dye on it and I don't know
if it was sealant or just some kind of ID dye.

One strange fact came out.
I looked at the latest Federal ammo brochure and it said the primer used in this round was the 210 Large rifle federal primer but I have heard it said on a few blogs that they used the mil spec primer . I think it's the #34.
I tried to contact federal about this but so far, no response.

I haven't shot it yet but from what I've seen it's probably pretty acceptable within limits. Since there were some bullets that were over the norm in seating depth I was considering just seating them lower to match the others and using the rounds that were under for warm up or even disassembling them and reseating the bullets.
But thats a bit much.
I guess for about $14.00 per box, if you don't reload and buy in bulk they are a good deal.
Earlier reports were the 168 grain OTM M1A ammo had 42.5 grains of powder (IMR-4064). The 168 grain Gold Metal Match used to have 43.0 grains of RL-15 but some reports are with the newer version of RL-15, it now uses 43.5 grains of RL-15.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Federal ammo

Well the bullet in the 2 boxes I have look exactly like the
168 match hpbt that I have stock of.
And the weight is the same.

I'm not sure what "OTM" means but they sure look alike.

Also I compared the powder to RL-15 and I can say for sure that it is not RL-15

I think that the gold medal match and these M1A loads are really different.

Gold medal match is made a lot more carefully but for the average person the M1A ammo is probably a good thing.

I have seen GMM go for as low as $17.00 per box and at that price it's OK.

One note:
Most every M1A shooter I have personally met do all their shooting at 100yd.
It's because of location restraints here in the big cities.
Often differences don't show up well at that close range.

When you shoot an M1A at ranges over 200-300m it's easy to see the changes.

·
Administrator
18,152 Posts
Research, still the best game in town......

Well the bullet in the 2 boxes I have look exactly like the
168 match hpbt that I have stock of.
And the weight is the same.

I'm not sure what "OTM" (Open tip Match) means but they sure look alike.

One note:
Most every M1A shooter I have personally met do all their shooting at 100yd.
It's because of location restraints here in the big cities.
Often differences don't show up well at that close range.

When you shoot an M1A at ranges over 200-300m it's easy to see the changes.
I hope that answer your question.DI5

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The difference between OTM and HPBT sounds like the difference between CAR and AUTOMOBILE.

I wish I could get the OTM bullets and 1/2 the cost of the HPBT bullets.

I'd be very happy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Check out ammoman.com They have a good price on it with free shipping. (last I checked) I shot it in my Socom II and had good results

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
To $$$ for me

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Federal M1A ammo

Hey Wavekatcher:

You see that little white circle in the center of the target?

With the guys I shoot against if there was a group larger than a
half dollar there I would get thrown off the range in disgrace.

My hand loads in my standard M1a can do that but I was hoping I could get the Federal M1A stuff to do the same.

I guess I will have to wait till this miserable winter phases out and I can get back to the range and see what this stuff will produce at 100/200/and 300M.

I'm not expecting miracles but I am ready to be mildly surprised.

It was 12 degrees this morining at the local range and when I pulled up for breakfast there were a few of the "geezers" out there shooting 1911's.

I bowed low in respect to them and then saw the hat on one that said: "Frozen Chosin Fighting Bastards".
Then I knew why it didn't bother him.

Gotta give respect where it's due!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts