M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just realized this might be better in the ammo section that I missed. Maybe a mod could move it?

So today was my first time shooting my Norinco after installing a Vortex PST 2.5-10x44. I managed to get ~2-2.25 moa groupings at 100yard and 200yard with the cheap Chinese surplus stuff. I'm up to trying different factory ammo to tighten up the groupings a bit. Is the Federal 168gr Match King safe to fire for these rifles? I'm under the impression that it is, but I figure I'd double check from the experts before uselessly buying a couple boxes.

Obligatory photos:

Off topic, is it normal for carbon to show up at the top of the front band?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't have a Norinco but a Springfield and that's what I shoot and it shoots pretty good, just a little on the expensive side.

Are you shooting that cheap Norinco ammo that has been going around?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a Norinco but a Springfield and that's what I shoot and it shoots pretty good, just a little on the expensive side.

Are you shooting that cheap Norinco ammo that has been going around?
It certainly is pricey compared to the surplus stuff. Trying to get a feel for what I should expect once I get into reloading down the road. Yep. Bought a case of 1000 last year of the copper washed 150gr stuff. It goes bang, but I have doubts that it's giving me the best results.

·
Super Moderator
11,121 Posts
Not only is it safe, it's recommended.

On gas leakage; it is normal to have some gas leakage around the gas cylinder. It can be corrected. That kind of gas leakage leads me to believe that your gas cylinder doesn't fit too tight around your barrel. There is a fix for that...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GP1rRnOq7A[/ame]

Accuracy out of your rifle seems to be fine. Shoot some good match stuff to see what it's capable of. My best groups from factory ammo have been from American Eagle 168g OTM and Nosler Custom Competition, 168gr Match. My best groups ever have come from my own handloads.

Tony.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Bought a case of 1000 last year of the copper washed 150gr stuff. It goes bang, but I have doubts that it's giving me the best results.
I bought a case last year but found I was getting about 10% of them splitting in the neck. If you inspect them prior to shooting you can pick out the ones that are going to split, you'll see a thin black line in the neck.

I had a picture last year but not sure where it went.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear you've all had success with the cartridge. I'll definitely be picking some up to see how it does.

-Tony: My gas cylinder splines have already been peened and it sits very tight (need a soft face hammer to tap it out). I suppose I'll just have to accept it as a quirk on my rifle. Good to know the accuracy is fine. I figure I'd be extremely happy with near 1.5 moa with match ammo, especially considering how novice of a shooter I am. Hoping to hand load within the next year or so and will run through the loading section of the forum at some point.

- Lurch: Funny you should mention that, as I've had one split up until my range trip yesterday, where I found two from the cases I recovered. I've already fired off over 600 rounds of the stuff. There were some casings that weren't mine lying around, so whether they were split from my rifle or someone else, I have no idea. Either way, I'll be looking at ammo to see what I find.

Christian- What would OTM be?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Tony: My gas cylinder splines have already been peened and it sits very tight (need a soft face hammer to tap it out). I suppose I'll just have to accept it as a quirk on my rifle. Good to know the accuracy is fine. I figure I'd be extremely happy with near 1.5 moa with match ammo, especially considering how novice of a shooter I am. Hoping to hand load within the next year or so and will run through the loading section of the forum at some

Christian- What would OTM be?
OTM= Open Tip Match

You can also try some different gas cylinders, buy several and try them out, if it's a quirck in the barrel then it may be a quirck that you live with, if your rifle cycles fine then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OTM= Open Tip Match

You can also try some different gas cylinders, buy several and try them out, if it's a quirck in the barrel then it may be a quirck that you live with, if your rifle cycles fine then I wouldn't worry about it.
My rifle has been cycling fine. Haven't had any stoppages that I can remember. I suppose I'll stop worrying about it then. Ordered some Federal 168gr smk. Will update when I send some down the pipe.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got to the range today with the 168gr SMK Federal GMM. Quite happy with the results (Full set of pictures in the link):

http://imgur.com/a/hcx9v

I actually ended up doing the shooting prone with the bipod @ 100yds and not on the bench. Felt more comfortable and was more stable that way than sitting.

A couple things I noticed:
  • The rifle shot best while the barrel was warm. A hot or cold barrel resulted in 2"+ groupings. (minus one grouping where I pulled the shot D'oh)
  • The 168gr GMM casings are hitting my windage knob on my scope. The 147-155gr surplus stuff hasn't been. Should I just wrap some tape around the windage knob or should I change the ejector spring?

I'm going to see what I can get out of this rifle with reloads before I make the effort of rebedding my rifle (not happy with the low front ferrule draw pressure). Overall I'm quite pleased with the rifle and my newbie shooting, but evidently still have quite a bit of practice to do. GI1

·
Registered
97 Posts
Got to the range today with the 168gr SMK Federal GMM. Quite happy with the results (Full set of pictures in the link):

http://imgur.com/a/hcx9v

I actually ended up doing the shooting prone with the bipod @ 100yds and not on the bench. Felt more comfortable and was more stable that way than sitting.

A couple things I noticed:
  • The rifle shot best while the barrel was warm. A hot or cold barrel resulted in 2"+ groupings. (minus one grouping where I pulled the shot D'oh)
  • The 168gr GMM casings are hitting my windage knob on my scope. The 147-155gr surplus stuff hasn't been. Should I just wrap some tape around the windage knob or should I change the ejector spring?

I'm going to see what I can get out of this rifle with reloads before I make the effort of rebedding my rifle (not happy with the low front ferrule draw pressure). Overall I'm quite pleased with the rifle and my newbie shooting, but evidently still have quite a bit of practice to do. GI1
Nice to know that there's a city called Limoges in Canada.
Limoges is renowned for its fine porcelain in France.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
With those groups, I certainly wouldn't make any changes to the rifle.

Take a caliper to one of the FGMM rounds and get the dimensions. Then pull it apart and weigh the charge. You'll need this info to duplicate them. If the cartridges are current production, the powder should be 4064 and the primers should be 210M.

Federal's AE OTM cartridge is basically the same, they just use generic components to keep costs down.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice to know that there's a city called Limoges in Canada.
Limoges is renowned for its fine porcelain in France.
Limoges is small town near Ottawa in Canada. Very close to the range I go to and there's a small restaurant there that makes some excellent poutine and pizza!

With those groups, I certainly wouldn't make any changes to the rifle.

Take a caliper to one of the FGMM rounds and get the dimensions. Then pull it apart and weigh the charge. You'll need this info to duplicate them. If the cartridges are current production, the powder should be 4064 and the primers should be 210M.

Federal's AE OTM cartridge is basically the same, they just use generic components to keep costs down.
Unfortunately, I fired it all off before I jumped on some reloading gear. Right now I'm playing around with the 168gr A-max. my first loads were fairly tame (I think 40gr?) but I've upped my next loads to 41.5 with CCI #200 primers. Haven't been able to track down any 210M primers in Canada yet. The 155gr A-max load I had with 41 or 42 grains was between 1.5-2 MOA. I'm pretty green with the reloading. I've loaded under 200 rounds so far. Currently using Hornady nickel plated match brass, CCI #200, IMR 4895 and Hornady 155 and 168gr A-max. I have some NT140 sitting around too that I'll use when I get some 210M primers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts