M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
Just recently purchased a Fed Ord M14SA from a guy and my dealer is balking at transfering it to me until I or the seller can provide some type of documentation that it is in fact a pre-ban. The fact that Fed Ord went out of buisiness in '92 does not help my case with him. He wants something saying this rifle is legal or was made before a certain date before he'll transfer it. Is there somehwere to go to find this out that would satisfy this guy?...I know the guy I bought it from has only had it about 4 years and has nothing indicating it is legal other than the receipt from the guy he bought it from. Is there a place to find an obvious answer to this?...thanks for any help...

·
Registered
156 Posts
There's no need to fear- Different will soon be here!
Or any number of others that will be able to answer. Really this must be a problem for any receivers that were made both before and after the "Ban" went into effect. I really don't know how anyone can easily enforce this issue with non-SA, Inc. receivers.

What features that are prohibited on post ban rifles does it have? You could have them removed, then transfer it w/o troubles. The removed parts could easily be sent separately, assuming they are legal to posess/import where you live.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:mrgreen: ALL FED ORDS ARE PREBAN, anyone with an FFL ,or a Decent Gunsmith ought to Know That FACT. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pre-ban Fed Ord M14SA transfer...

I agree it ought to be obvious...but my FFL wants some type of proof. The only thing I'm aware of that makes it a pre-ban is the flash-hider/bayo lug...

·
Registered
4 Posts
All Fed Ords are pre-ban...

All Fed Ords are pre-ban, but I'm sure your FFL wants 'official' proof. In that case, why doesn't he contact the BATF(e) and confirm it himself? After all, he wants to know he's not violating any laws... :roll:

BTW, I have a very early Fed Ord (ser no 36xx) and I like mine... There are those who look down their noses at Fed Ords, but the early ones were assembled with all USGI parts, while the later ones were a little more sloppy in their construction.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
If it has a traditional GI stock the only feature that would be an issue is the bayonet lug. What is the serial number? I have an American Survival Guide magazine article on Federal Ordnance from September, 1988 that shows the Federal Ordnance M14SA serial number 3058 heel stamping. What tommygun said, he can pull off the flash suppressor and keep it. Then get a replacement flash suppressor with bayonet lug from www.dpmsinc.com for $29.95.

What TRUNG SI said. All Federal Ordnance rifles are pre-'94 ban though some receivers were sold stripped. What the buyer did with the bare receiver and when who knows. If the FFL plays that card, let him keep the flash suppressor and bayonet lug then he can transfer the rifle legally and in good conscience. They made 60,000 + receivers by the time they closed shop in the early 1990s.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree that the easiest thing to do is take off the flash hider/bayo lug, but that to me is asinine. What the hell do I do if BATF comes to investigate my C&R's one day and they see this thing? Do I have to pull out reams of evidence proving that its legal?..I live in Texas for crying out loud and I have to pull off a flash suppressor on a perfectly legal firearm?...it just pisses me off and I haven't even seen the rifle yet (and won't until next week)...
The SN is 21456 by the way... I don't know if it has US parts or chinese parts when it was made up. At any rate, thanks for the suggestions...I'm going to e-mail the original owner and see if he has any documntation with it. I would think the fact that the company went out of business well prior to the ban would be sufficient evidence. But what do I know...thanks again for the insights...I'll have pics for everyone next week (hopefully)...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Noble,
I'm in the Houston area...problem is my FFL already has the rifle. To now send it back to the guy I bought it from, and then have it sent somewhere else would be a real PITA, not to mention an expense and more time....I'm going to see if I can get some docs from the original owner and I'l let you know what happens. Thanks for the offer...

·
Banned
2,159 Posts

Everyone should know Fed-Ord's are preban.
Even the dealer who has it.

Can you PM me who the dealer is ??
I know most of them and may be able to convince him it is in fact a preban.

Also, your dealer must transfer the rifle to you within a reasonable time frame.
It sounds like he (or she) is jacking you around about the preban or postban crap. If he fails to transfer the rifle to you, he could be committing theft of a firearm. He's a dealer (FFL) not a federal cop.

You might want to call John James at the Houston BATF office and explain your problem.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts

I got the PM.

I know Bill and will call him today.
I'll be going thru his neck of the woods on my way home tonite.

Bill knows that Fed-Ord is a preban so I don't understand why the confusion about it all. He knows better.

If it was an AR15 I would understand.
Hopefully, I can help with a friendly phone call. :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.