M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright,
Questions from a new guy...I would appreciate any insights...

Just purchased a M-14 SA made by Fed Ord for $670...SN is in the 210xxx range. I've been told in an earlier post that this SN was put together with chinese parts.
What I want to do is make his a reasonably accurate shooter and nothing more. In other words, I don't want to invest $2000 into a rifle that will never be more than a $1000 rifle no matter what you do to it. I may end up with a more collectible or NM version later, but right now all I'd like to do is have this one shoot as well as it can be made to without going overboard on it.
I realize that the first thing I need to do is get it to the range and shoot it. It may be accurate enough for me as is, at which point I may decide not to change out any parts.

1. Just looking for opinions on if I were going to change anything out, what would be the advantages without driving the cost off the page?

2. How easily do the GI parts swap over with the Fed Ords?...I've read where there can be some substantial work involved to get GI bolts into chinese receivers for example. Since the Fed Ords were supposedly built with GI parts before a certain SN, I'm guessing that they can take GI parts without a lot of work?...

Warbird is going to check my headspace and TE for tomorrow so I can make sure its safe to shoot before I bang away with it. I've attached pics below. The leather sling came with the rifle. The mag and sling on the rifle are ones I had from an earlier M1A that I had back in the 1980's...

I'm going to Pasadena this weekend to get some Port ammo for it based on some other threads I've read.

Thoughts and comments appreciated...

SF/

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/3fb03adb_15d72/bc/My+Pictures/Fed+Ord+M14SA.jpg?bf1by7AB6T681TVs

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/3fb03adb_15d72/bc/My+Pictures/Fed+Ord+M14SA+center.jpg?bf1by7AB11xZVA3l

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Had a Fed Ord assembled with Chinese parts about 12 years ago. I tried to put a USGI bolt into it and it would not go forward enough in the receiver to even start locking. From my experience, it will require allot of fitting to get it to work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fed Ord M-14...

Tommo,
Did you have any problems with it?..previosu owner of this one said he has shot it several times with no problems at all...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.