M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Digging through the safe the today and thought I would get this one out and take some pics. She hasnt seen daylight for awhile.
It started off as a Rack Grade Woodless Dane return that I handpicked from the North Store for $295.00. Those were the days!!
Came with Lock Bar sights, Correct Barrel (MW-3 TW-4) ,Trigger Assembly,and Bolt . It was a fairly easy restoration

·
Registered
100 Posts
1944 Restoration

Orlando that is one fine looking Rifle. I wish my camara could take that good of pictures then I could show you my 1942/43 M-1 Carbine Restoration. Again fine looking Rifle.
oldtimer35
NAV1 USAF2

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Sweet. Looks like a curved op rod, which would also suggest (besides the lockbars) nobody's messed with the metal much, if any. Which raises another interesting question about the (long gone from CMP) woodless rackers, to-wit: If the rifle came back and the wood was junked out, would there have been any point in proceeding with a rebuild if replacement wood was unavailable right then, and the wood that was available was going to new rifles still being produced? I think I know why ShooterM1 couldn't resist a woodless.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet. Looks like a curved op rod, which would also suggest (besides the lockbars) nobody's messed with the metal much, if any. Which raises another interesting question about the (long gone from CMP) woodless rackers, to-wit: If the rifle came back and the wood was junked out, would there have been any point in proceeding with a rebuild if replacement wood was unavailable right then, and the wood that was available was going to new rifles still being produced? I think I know why ShooterM1 couldn't resist a woodless.

Not sure I understand your question. These rifles were returned to the Army then turned over to CMP.
CMP doesnt rebuild rifles , they just reciently started building Garands with new barrels and wood.
These were Rack Grades and probably not considered good enough condition to install new commercial wood on and resell. Actually back then none of their rifles came with commercial wood.
I dont know if these rifles were returned to the Army without wood or the wood was so bad that CMP stripped the rifles of it and sold them this way
This one must have slipped through the cracks as its got a good barrel on it

Good eye on the Op Rod, that I did have to replace

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
That I don't know. I'm really thinking 1950's. Danes could have scrapped some of the wood, the Army some more, CMP some more. It's been close to 10 years since I remember the woodless buys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts