M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a favorite load I can use as a starting point using Varget powder in a .308? I already own the powder and would prefer to use it. I am loading 168gr Sierra MK and would also like to hear about loading 150gr bullets. Any help would be appreciated. Rifle is 22" LRB M25 for the 168's and an 18" Scout for the 150's.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Go to the ammo forum here, or do a search for Varget--DON'T use in a M14 type rifle, burns to slow--over pressure to gas system.
I should add that it's great in .223 behind 69 grain match bullets out of Colt AR-15A2 20 inch barrel-- same load eats the sh*t out of bolt rings on my Colt 16 inch M4in less than 50 rounds.
Been using it lately in 1919A4(308).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I will look in ammo section. Sorry, new to the M-1A and to this forum but long time shooter. Just trying to learn from the experience of people here. It's alot easier than learning the hard way. GI1

·
Registered
975 Posts
Varget produces a lot of gas at the gas port. I find to use it in the M-14 I have to load it to about the same loads as IMR-4895 but velocities are slower. In 30-06 I can use Varget for the Garand with IMR-4895 load data and get about the same velocities but not in 308. The Hornady number 7 (maybe number 8 now) load guide has service rifle load data for 308 Winchester using Varget powder. Note the Hornady load data uses commercial cases and Hornady A-Max bullets. From looking at the loads on the NJ Hi Power web site I think those loads must be with commercial cases and even then they look a bit hot to me. They seem to be based on velocity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts