M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I've been using almost nothing but CCI primers, in everything from shot shells to BPCR, and in .308. Getting a little low on rifle primers and wondered what everybody's take on primers is. So far I've been very happy with CCI, but the only other primer I've used was Winchester and they were a bit on the soft side.

So what's the consensus? Stick with CCI, or is one of the other brands better for high powered rifle?

Thanks, Will

·
Registered
600 Posts
i would think its best to buy primers that would be well suited against slam fires out of your military rifles.

I would load a good casing with just a primer, and repeatedly open and close the bolt manually, and see if the primer will go off when you close the bolt then its not a primer to use.

its the best way i can think of testing it, otherwise its best to buy hardened primers if you can find them.

·
Registered
914 Posts
CCI #34s

I've decided on CCI #34 military primers, tho' there's some controversy as to whether they act like a magnum powder or a normal one. They are made from a harder material, and the free-floating primer indent that occurs if you just chamber a round and then un-chamber it and take a look at the primer, is less obvious and visible when using #34s compared to the regular CCI200.

I have also run reloads now with the ubiquitous CCI 200s if the #34s were not available. Had no problems. My local suppliers sells the #34s for the staggering sum of $42/1000, which is, I think, highwway robbery. He sees me coming!

Late add: I see that GRAF sells CCI #34s for about $28/1000. Good price!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Federal or win wlr. I have never had a slam fire! I use a lee auto prime hand primer and I feel every one .To make sure it is seated deep enough.Prime feel bottom of case grab next case.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty much the same way I do it. Also, with the m14, and I assume the Garand as well, if the safety bridge is in spec. it won't allow the firing pin to fall until the bolt is locked.

That said, I've never felt the need to use soft primers in anything. I know a few shooters who have race tuned guns with hammers so light that nothing but federal will light off in them.

So I guess I'd be OK to get more CCI's. I know a lot of people swear by different brands, just wondering if it really made a difference in accuracy, and or reliability.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I have always used regular CCI LR primers and I have always been pleased with them. I used an RCBS priming tool and inspect all of my primers after they are seated.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I use CCI #34's and Winchester Long Rifle primers. Good service with both. The Wolf primers are reported to be good but I've never used them. Maybe I'll get some when I order primers again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Winchester standard large rifle for M1 and M14. Never had a problem in over 20 years.

FWIW, I spoke with the CCI folks a while back about their #34 primers. Their tech told me their #34 primers should be considered a "semi-magnum" primer. Not as hot as a full magnum, but more ignition power than a standard primer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use Winchester Large Rifle primers.

I use the RCBS hand priming tool which gives a greater "feel"
to the primer seating, and allows you to ensure the primer is
seated below the level of the case head.

This reduces your chance of a slamfire.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
CCI#34's for my M-14s and CCI#41's for use in my AR's. For everything else Federals or whatever I can get at the time. I try and keep over 10K primers in stock at all times but sometimes I may run out of something due to inattention on my part....

7th

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
My local suppliers sells the #34s for the staggering sum of $42/1000, which is, I think, highwway robbery. He sees me coming!
That is Hiway Robbery WOW
I am paying $30 a K and $125-5K

·
Registered
689 Posts
Winchester WLR primers with 4895 in LC cases makes the best combo for the service rifle. Never a slam fire in any of my M-1a's and match accuracy with Sierra MKs.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I use the CCI #34 NATO primers in all my military surplus semi-auto rifles that have floating firing pins to prevent slam-fires for a longtime now with no problems. These have a thicker wall so the floating firing pins can't set them off if they happen to bounce against them. Its much safer than taking a chance with the thinner walled standard rifle primers. I load for my semi auto's and my bolt action military rifles that use the same caliber with the CCI #34 NATO primers too so nothing can get mixed up by having two different types of ammo on hand in the same caliber. Safety first is the number 1 factor, we can't put a price on a life nor an accident so at any cost the CCI #34 Nato primers are worth it. I don't want to ever have any semi auto go full auto on me no matter what the caliber is.
Besafe; BigBill

BTW; I've seen lazy people not wanting to disassemble the bolts on there new sks's to clean out the cosmoline or to make sure on there used sks its cleaned too. I've seen so many used sks's with cosmoline still inside the receiver so why would they disassemble thye bolt to clean it. I read oh i just took the bolt and soaked it solvent and the firing pin is free and ok. We'll they just puddled up the cosmoline away from the firing pin until it sees some heat so it will melt and stick the bolt when it cools. Now its a ticking time bomb until they shoot it again or just close the bolt on a round in the chamber. There playing russian roullet with there own lives or maybe going to hurt someone else.

So with this said how many times have you made sure the bolt / firing pin / pin bore is cleaned in your m1a/m14 so far?? I'm sorry but no flame intended but i don't mean to be harsh but its true, gun safety never sleeps and we need to think and be on the top of our game all the time 24/7.

Its a little more cost for the CCI #34 NATO primers vs regular primers vs possibly having a slamfire or accident to save $$$ or spending the $$ and be positively safe. I'm sorry but I can't save $$ and take a chance or a risk.

I also worry if i pass on if i had two different loads in the same ammo, one for the bolt actions w/std primers and one for the semi auto's w/cci 34 nato primers and what if my kids took my guns after they inherited them to shoot and used the wrong ammo? I don't even want to this about this happening. Its the what if's that scares me.

Please besafe i lost enough of my buddy's in the past doing stuff not thinking first about it already. Life is so short.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Winchester standard large rifle for M1 and M14. Never had a problem in over 20 years.

FWIW, I spoke with the CCI folks a while back about their #34 primers. Their tech told me their #34 primers should be considered a "semi-magnum" primer. Not as hot as a full magnum, but more ignition power than a standard primer.

I've heard that WLRs are on a pretty even keel with the CCI34s. I've compared the WLRs and CCI34s in my reloads with the other components being exactly the same. Was less than 100FPS difference between them. dozier

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Around 20 years ago or so (around 1990) progressive presses and service rifle shooting started really becoming popular. At that time Winchester primers gained a reputation for slamfires and even going off while priming cases. Winchester redesigned their primers to be "safer" and offered to exchange old Winchester primers for the newer ones. They said the newer, safer primers could be recognized by three raised spots on them. At first I thought they meant on the flat of the primer cup but I think they meant on the inside edge of the primer cup. Then Hornady started having their brass and ammunition made by Winchester and promoted Winchester primers as the 'safest" to use in autoloading rifles. Then a few years ago the primer companies started to make plain brass primers instead of nickel plated ones. The AR15 guys started complaining about pieced primers with Winchester small rifle primers. Some people started getting slamfires with Winchester large rifle primers in certain rifles. Winchester then stated that they had redesigned their primers to be more sensitive due to complaints of misfires due to light primer strikes and off center primer strikes. Winchester didn't sy which size primers were made more sensitive.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.