M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Hoping to get everyones thoughts on these two situations.

First at home, I'm sure the majority of us have a large gun safe (or several) where most of our weapons are kept safe and secure. What about when you may need to quickly get to one? In my case, the safe is down in the basement, the combination lock is a bit hard to see with my bi-focals and it takes some time to open. I usually have a side arm on my belt, but there could be times when a carbine would be a much better tool for the job. I'd like to keep one "handy", but I would not feel comfortable just hiding it somewhere particularly in case there was a break in, guests were about or whatever else. I recently saw a new safe designed for what seems to be just this purpose:

http://www.sentrysafe.com/HDC

I'm going to try and go see one next week.

Second, I cc virtually 100% of the time (if my shoes are on, so is my pistol). Though PA has few restrictions on hand gun carry (with a state issued "license to carry firearm") there are some instances when it is not legal to, such as federal property (Post offices and such), school property, etc.. It is also up to each private property owner to allow carry or not in the case of a business, restaurant, shop, etc. on their premises. I think it a bad idea in general to leave a hand gun unsecured in a car and it would certainly be inconvenient to go back home to drop it off while running errands. Looking around I found this:

http://www.bulldogcases.com/case-va...id=253&zenid=7afff8d8d94d245068bdca551342543c

I ordered one and it should be here in a few days. I'll report back when it arrives.

So, how do you guys deal with these situations and what have you found to be good compromises between security and fast access? Thanks!

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
839 Posts
When i am home my safe is unlocked and open, Im generally no more than 3 steps away from a firearm if Im not dressed and carrying my SIG

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
sportsman guide had a large 4 picture box frame that 2.5-3" depth that the front could be removed, front held on by magnets. it would hold a 16" barrel'd carbine inside , haven't seen one recently but they have some for handguns , you could scale it up, it's not secure,but not obvious either

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,424 Posts
I have thought about getting a "in the wall" medicine cabinet, remove the mirror and replace it with a picture in a frame and mount it in the wall near the front door for quick access and mount a .45 auto and flashlight in side of it.
I gutted a electrical box for a friend once that he mounted in his closet that he hid a pistol in for quick access, when it was closed it looked real.

Casey

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Since we live in the country the wife and I keep some rifles and shotguns out, within easy each. Both for 2 legged and 4 legged varmints.

When we both leave the house we lock them up.
When we get back home we get them back out...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Shotguns work the best.

An Ithaca model 37 riot by the bedroom door with 8 Rounds of military 00 buck. All else is generally locked up. Used to be a Franchi SAS-12 again by the bedroom door with 8 Rounds of military 00 buck. Still have it, but it is in one of the safes now.
Its a home protection thing.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,424 Posts
I also have my less then lethal alternative, I made some brackets for hanging a baseball bat next to my door. I also made a similar hanger for hanging a MAG light next to every door in the house.

Casey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.