M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be getting a new digital powder measure scale combo for Xmas and want some opinions on which one to get.
Which one should I get & why?

I'm looking at the RCBS Chargemaster, Lyman 1200 DPS3 digital & the Pact Combo.

I am drawn to the Pact because it is made in USA.

Thanks,

Ole Silver

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I have a PACT System, I used it for about a Year some 10Years ago, very Sensitive, Slow and prone to Frequent Errors, I am much Faster throwing and then trickling!
Just my Opinion!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pact

Trung Si,

I had heard that the PACT was not real stable, that if you were seating a bullet while it was weighing, the vibration would cause a problem for the scale. One reviewer said he has to keep the scale on a table next to his bench to avoid vibration on the bench.

What are you throwing your powder with? I am strictly IMR4895 right now but that will change some down the road when I start loading for my 1911.

Thanks,

Ole Silver

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I've been useing the RCBS charge master combo for a couple of years now. Very pleased with the performance. Very fast and accurate for an electronic scale. If you do a lot of load developement I would not be without it any more. However if you just load in large batches, save your cash.
To slow for that unless you weigh every charge as a routine.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Trung Si,

I had heard that the PACT was not real stable, that if you were seating a bullet while it was weighing, the vibration would cause a problem for the scale. One reviewer said he has to keep the scale on a table next to his bench to avoid vibration on the bench.

What are you throwing your powder with? I am strictly IMR4895 right now but that will change some down the road when I start loading for my 1911.

Thanks,

Ole Silver
What You heard I found to be the absolute Truth, even walking will upset it, don't even think about having it on Your Loading Bench and doing something else, as far as I am concerned it was a $500 Mistake!
I use an Old RCBS Powder Measure, not Great with 4895 or VVN150 but like I said I Trickle for my final charge and I am still faster than the Automatic, but to Each His Own, You are talking to a Guy that still uses a Single Stage Press and Hand Primes Every Round!LOL1

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trung Si,

I plan to stick with single stage as well. Rock Chucker.

Right now I'm just spooning into the pan on the RCBS beam scale and then trickling to finish.

I also prime every round with an RCBS APS hand primer and won't ever change that.

I build no more than 60 to 100 rounds at a time right now and don't expect to ever get into a production type of mode.

I think I'm gonna get the RCBS Uniflow with the stand for my bench and just take my sweet time. I'll just throw charges a half a grain light and trickle them. That will speed up the process and I'll still know exactly what I'm getting.

My wife can buy me some more brass for Xmas with the extra money.

Thanks,

Ole Silver

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Ole Silver
Your wife will buy you Brass/Gun Related things. Does she have a Sister? Just Kidding
My wife when I make a wish list just rolls her eyes and walks away

·
Registered
283 Posts
PACT units are sensitive. Great if you don't breathe!

Chargemasters are good, but most automated dispensers are slow (Except one called Prometueus, but for $2000 if out to prime and seat as well all by itself).

I used to shoot a lot in NC and around some of the top benchrest guys. These guys will actually load their rounds at matches. They used powder throwers, with Harrel's at the top of the list.

Lost of discussion about whether throwing by weight or volume is better. Both volume and weight will be effecgted by humidity and pressure, but maybe not to the same degree. To me, it is more about consistency. If you load in a consistently stable enviromnent, using an accurate measure, your powder throws will be consistent.

I still have the PACT and chargemaster, but use a Harrell's most of the time now.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
charlesPOSTLEwade,

She's a keeper. She bought me the GG&G Extreme Heavy Duty bipod & 16 pounds of IMR4895 too!! All this year!!!

Ole Silver

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tried the electronic route, tried the trickle to scale route. Now, I use Zedikers method. Test charge weights to find one that is not sensitive to minor changes in weight/volume and throw with a cheap Lee dispenser with the rubber wiper. Charges are just as close as my "expensive" Harrell's and it does not cut the powder.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My wife doesn't buy any shooting stuff for me, but doesn't say a word when the Brown truck stops out front. Of course I also look the other way when some thing comes for her.

I've been using a Pact Scale and a Redding measure. If I feel that I'm not getting accurate loads I have an RCBS 10-10 scale to check it. So far when I check the Pact it's been right on. It's I think 15 years old and still chugging along.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I bought one of the new Hornady electronic measures, and I love the thing. It takes about 15-20 seconds to drop a 308 load with Varget. If you can live with .1 over, it's much quicker. It goes over more than that maybe once every 25 rounds or so. I do keep it on a shelf off my bench.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Neil Jones

I've been using a Neil Jones Custom Products Power Measure for 20+ years. Also had him modify my FL sizing dies with neck bushing way before they were commercially available. I broke the hopper on my Belding & Mull measure that was the bomb for long nasty stick powders. I just saw this at Montana Vintage Arms. It is like the B&M but with a brass hopper. I will buy myself one for Christmas!

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=71

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have been using the RCBS Chargemaster for the last year and a half, suits me just fine. No real issues, I put the Mcdonalds straw in it and she throws very accurately. I still use my Uniflow for ball and flake powders. Some of the short cut powders can be diffiucult to throw consistently. If I did it over again I would get a good digital scale and nicer powder measure like the redding BR or Harrels. But the electronic works well enough and is more convenient then throwing through the uniflow weighing then trickling each round. With the chargemaster I can seat a bullet while it is throwing the next charge.

·
Registered
362 Posts
RCBS Chargemaster

I have used the RCBS unit for about a year. It is reasonably fast. I seat the bullet while it is dispensing (it doesn't seem to upset the scale or dispenser) and by the time I have seated the bullet, the next charge is ready to be dumped. Powder weight is exact about 90% of the time Usually over by .1 or .2 grn the other 10%.
I think RCBS is a good product. "T"

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I have a PACT and it serves me well for accuracy loading in small batches (1-200) and use my Rockcrusher. I trust my Dillon RL550B for all my quantity loading. I always verify batches with my RCBS 10-10. I like my fingers,eyes and ugly mug!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts