M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
British troops frontally assault an entrenched French position during the Battle of Carillon, July 8, 1758, French and Indian War
As the story goes, men on my fathers' side of the family fought in the French & Indian War. Still trying to source that.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Most notable in my family:
Great Great Grandfather was a Union Major General in the Civil War.
Next was a woman who passed when I was prolly 5 or 6 (Im 61 now) At her funeral her casket had an American flag on it. When I asked my Dad why she was entitled to it (I knew members of the armed forces were entitled, even at that young age) He replied that she was a direct descendant of someone who came over on the Mayflower. And ironically Tom Paine, I once asked you about your user name and told you I have a set of 10 books (9 are in a wood case) of The Life and Works of Thomas Paine. Dated 1925, and at least one of the books has a page and printed on it is something along the lines saying the set was for (with that date) prolly that woman above's husband. William Wheelock. Don't know who on the Mayflower she was related to, no one around who can tell me more.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
My Great Great Grandfather was a Confederate soldier (Sgt) in Company D of the 12th Arkansas Infantry. He fought in campaign's in Missouri, Louisiana and Arkansas. Captured twice and escaped once. Survived the war and settled in Arkansas.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Best and easiest family research site I've ever used.

Just sign up , no fee, and type in a relatives name . I started with one of my Grandpa's.
All the research is already done . I have documented relatives that go back to the 5th century.

John Adams , Abe Lincoln, John Wayne, Marilyn Monroe, all cousins who share a common ancestor. an uncle on the Mayflower. Even a relative who died in Jeruselum during the Crusades.

The site send email updates when they find any info. And if you can fill in any blanks you can input that .

The first night I got on , I stayed for hrs looking in disbelief.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Just sign up , no fee, and type in a relatives name . I started with one of my Grandpa's.
All the research is already done . I have documented relatives that go back to the 5th century.

John Adams , Abe Lincoln, John Wayne, Marilyn Monroe, all cousins who share a common ancestor. an uncle on the Mayflower. Even a relative who died in Jeruselum during the Crusades.

The site send email updates when they find any info. And if you can fill in any blanks you can input that .

I have had some work done, DNA wise, and my Bro in Law has done massive work on the Family Trees.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My wife and I have done DNA testing and ancestry work. My wife's ancestry was professionally done many years ago and published in two volume hard-back books. Her great great grandmother was married to a cousin and had two children while she worked as a maid for a wealthy family. My wife's ancestry came from one of those two children. After the parents passed, the ancestor got a divorce and married the son of the wealthy family. They had three more children. The ancestry published books followed her cousin's ancestry back for centuries including famous people. Recent DNA testing showed all five children had the same DNA and were from the son of the wealthy family. Oops.

Turns out my wife and I have common ancestors who came to the Plymouth Colony on the Ship Anne in 1623.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Wife did the ancestry research on both of our trees.. DNA for the both of us was very interesting. Especially mine as it came back.
View attachment 481476
OK. I'm killing time at gate c12 at MSY, so here's a correction. The nickname Cracker comes from the sound of their long whips used for driving livestock, not for something eaten in soup.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts

Don't rely too heavily on FAMILY SEARCH as it is know to contain significant errors.

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
909 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts