M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an itch for a new rifle, and was contemplating a Galil when this rifle became available.

FAL's seem popular around here, no I see why.

It's a metric FAL, IMBEL receiver with all Steyr parts, built by a respected FAL smith (documented) in east TN for a local guy here in TN.

It's got a DSA dust cover with rail, a folding charge handle, and I think the wood is commercial, since it's so darn pretty... The trigger has been worked with a Falcon Arms kit, and the entire rifle and spare parts Duracoated HK black.

Also came with a bag of spare parts, DSA synth stock, and ample supply of Steyr magazines.

I couldn't pass it up.

Shoots great, although I've not really tried to nail it down. The PO had a scope on it, so the irons are not set. Was shooting over the top of 8x11 paper at 100 yards, and top of paper at 50.

The trigger is OK, but like others have stated, not as good as a GI 14. It breaks clean, with almost no creep, but it's heavy compared to my JRA rifle with stock USGI trigger group.

This thing spits brass all over the place! Some even hit the roof covering the firing line. Don't know if that's good thing or not. Makes recovering brass somewhat of a pain.

These things sure are a complicated beast. There's got to be twice as many parts that make up the rifle compared to our M14's. Kinda puts into perspective why the US went with the M14 rather than the FAL. I've got a lot to learn for sure!

My first FAL, and so far I dig it, although I don't get the same feeling as when I hold my JRA M14 clone, but I think there's room for it around here...

Some gratuitous pictures for ya'll to check out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
On beauty alone, that rifle will complement your other rifles. They are fun to shoot, I enjoy mine also. I did see a net that clamps to your shooting table to catch brass, maybe someone else can come up with a link for it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can definitely get a major headache researching the FAL rifle, that's for sure! I know I did. So much so, it always kept me from getting one.

When this one popped up, I just said heck with it... And put down the cash.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
A very nice rifle, you can find out a lot on the falfiles.com A lot of us are on there too. The builder looks like he did a good job and added a lot of nice parts. Try adjusting the gas system, it sounds like it's turned wide open, slinging brass everywhere like that. You want it as low as you can go and still maintain reliable feeding . Check falfiles.com for more info on adjusting the gas system , it's very easy, no tools or parts are needed. PS as usual when one of us is writing , someone else is saying the same thing, do check your gas system , and M1476251 I see you know your way around a FAL too.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Gotta love FAL's I wish I had kept my STG58, as far as your brass goes my suggestion would be open the gas system all the way, load one round and fire then close back one at a time until the bolt stays back and locked after firing that one round, I believe 3BUCC sells brass catchers for the FAL, they are pricey but I have one for my AR and it catches every piece of brass.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Yep, FAL's are awesome! Another on my list that I wish that I kept, my pre ban SAR 48 Brush gun! I always found that they handle better than the M14 clones, but the M14's sights are much better and tend to shoot better. You did much better picking up that FAL than the Galil!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Absolutely beautimous rifle there!! Love FALS, especially Inch Patterns.

I picked up a Imbel parts kit a few months ago thinking I would build on it. Thought I got a deal until I realized I would have to replace almost half of the parts with US stuff or risk becoming a felon.

Hmmmmmm...922R sure took a lot of the fun out of that project! :-0

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Back a few years before I retired I bought five IMBEL FAL kits and two IMBEL gear logo receivers. I built two FALS, one for myself and one for my youngest son. They were an easy build compared to the M14 and far cheaper to build as well. I paid $99.00 each for the FAL parts kits and I paid either $199.00 or $299.00 from Tapco for the IMBEL receivers. My local gun shop did not charge me a transfer fee on the receivers. I finished my FAL with Aluma-Hyde OD Green furniture and Satin black metal. My son wanted his whole rifle done in Satin black Aluma-Hyde. Back then Tapco had metric FAL mags for $1.00 each and I bought 100 of them.

They turned out to be fine rifles and I still have three IMBEL parts kits for spare parts. I then got into M-14 rifles and never looked back. I haven't shot the FALs in years but I still value their presence in my gun collection.

7th

·
Premium Member
18,888 Posts
I have these two in my collection. The scope on the 50.0 makes up for the crappy sights. They had been in the back of one of my safes for almost 20 years and I dug them out because one of my friends asked if I still had them. I wasn't even sure they were still there. M1s and M14s beat the FAL by a mile , if you like to punch paper.

[URL=http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0897_zpsea1a1704.jpg.html][/URL]

Semper Fi
Art

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
That's a pretty rifle. Much nicer than the one I bought several years ago.

We only have one.

In response to the usual complaints about FALs:

Ours doesn't kick hard.

Ours is accurate.

Ours has a nice trigger.

Ours doesn't feel heavy, not as heavy as our M14 type rifles.

We don't shoot it much (don't shoot the M14 type rifles much either) but when we got it out of the safe last fall it saw still accurate and it went bang every time I pulled the trigger.

Great rifles. I would not feel bad about having to grab ours and head out the back door with it. It will get the job done.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts