M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about this somewhere . . I have a GI plain jane birch stock I want to strip and try this method . .

Is anyone familiar with the torch method to apply a "faux" tiger stripeGI3? Anyone done it? Any links on how to do it??

Thanks in advance . .dance2

·
Registered
467 Posts
Basically what you're doing is lightly carbonizing, but not igniting, the wood with the torch. The wood gets hot and black, but not enough to light on fire. Takes a very careful hand to do.

Looks fine on plywood and cheap Army desks when you're building up a FOB in Asscrackistan, but I wouldn't even think about doing it to a rifle stock.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically what you're doing is lightly carbonizing, but not igniting, the wood with the torch. The wood gets hot and black, but not enough to light on fire. Takes a very careful hand to do.

Looks fine on plywood and cheap Army desks when you're building up a FOB in Asscrackistan, but I wouldn't even think about doing it to a rifle stock.
Actually B 2/75 . . the article I read was with regards to faking antiques and how even "the experts" have trouble telling the difference . . .

·
Registered
467 Posts
Their "experts" are either woefully ignorant, or are Stevie Wonder.

.02 centavos....

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
It's an interesting idea, to start with does anyone know what causes the tiger stripe effect/condition?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've seen a couple of rifles that the owners had done this to them and they were birch stocks. I was was informed by the owner of one rifle (a Savage 99) that this was a common practice in the 50's through the early 70's.
While his stock looked nice, you could tell that it was not natural.
I would look for a used birch stock and expeirment with it. Most guns shops will have junked stocks.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I have seen some Muzzleloading Rifles where this was done...and Done Right, Looked Very Nice!

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
179 Posts
I experimented with the burn on wood...never came out good for me....I have a tiger stripe Garand stock, but the handguards were not. This was on walnut though...I lightly stained with red stain deluted by 1/3rd mineral spirits, then took a min-wax dark walnut stain they sell in a pen an marked the fake stripes several times...after drying put on coats of tung oil...I got complements but theres nothing like the real thing.

On Muzzleloaders they use to take cord an tightly wrap the wood an then set the cord on fire.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had a article about match conditioning the M-14 that the guy does a tiger stripe with a torch.. along with other kitchen table gunsmithing.. tightening up the rear sight unitizing the gas cylinder etc.. his stock looked good.. B2B

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a article about match conditioning the M-14 that the guy does a tiger stripe with a torch.. along with other kitchen table gunsmithing.. tightening up the rear sight unitizing the gas cylinder etc.. his stock looked good.. B2B
Bolt2bounce, do you have a link to that article??

Thanks everyone for your input.

What I am looking for, and I should have made this clear in my original post, is a "How To" article or link.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm sorry, I had it cut out of a magazine and had it saved for years and I just looked for it in my paperwork and I can't for the life of me find it.. It was an 80's early 90's magazine.. it covered the old school way to tighten up a M-14..peening the barrel fitting etc.. a good read.. I'll keep looking.. B2B

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Sir!

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
For some cool stripes......

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...pe-quot-wood-and-quot-homemade-finishes-quot-..

Years ago Dixie gun works had a manual on how to for this....Some use kerosene soaked rope and burn on it after wrapping, some a torch...some wrap with hemp real tight ..then stain exposed areas....all kinds of ways....Now you got me thinking about it again, I am gonna do one tomorrow I have ...just to see.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I know the topic is 9 years old but maybe some members are reading .

https://m14forum.com/#/topics/494926

Birch stock , use pencil and draw flame or tiger stripe with harmonic on the stock, put a lot of gun oil on it 2 days before , clean it and start torching with triple flame butane gas torch lighter ( do not use high degree flame torch) start filling on the lines you did, super soft sand paper ( wooden) after finishing,
48 hrs a couple of times tru oil all over the stock.

I'm not pro , just tried for my own experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts