M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I think B3 was their batch with a lot of problems. However, based upon your description, my guess is that it's the bolt. At least I wouldn't rule that out.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
What you describe still happens from time-to-time with one of my Bula's, and I know it's the bolt.... it's lessened over time, though. Used to be 1-in-10 rounds, then 1-in-20; hoping that it's resolved itself and won't happen anymore.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'd like to run down the cause. The thing that happens only now and then is tough to debug. It is an inconvenience and I can always clear it, but at the price paid for these rifles, I would not expect this kind of issue and better QA at the manufacturer, if that is where the problem resides.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I'd like to run down the cause. The thing that happens only now and then is tough to debug. It is an inconvenience and I can always clear it, but at the price paid for these rifles, I would not expect this kind of issue and better QA at the manufacturer, if that is where the problem resides.
I agree, but I'd like to think we don't need to carry around a block of wood and mallet for normal circumstances of shooting. Maybe a cleaning kit and broken shell extractor.

BTW, if needed tap on the large square portion of the op rod instead of on the pull handle.

·
Premium Member
20,834 Posts
Thanks. I never had this issue with the rifle issued to me so many years ago…or my memory fails me.
Neither did I. The rifles we were issued in the 60s had much more forgiving chambers than those on a commercial rifle.

I now use a Sheridan open side gauge on all my commercial ammo. If it fits in that, it should fit in a SAMMI .308 chamber.

·
Premium Member
20,834 Posts
All depends on the ammo. Some Malaysian is 20%. Most are very good. What I have done with all of my rifle is extend the chamber headspace to 1.633 from the 1.630 - 1.631 standard reamed chamber. I shoot mostly my own re-loads and they are done with an RCBS SB X die.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Back when I was younger I reloaded and I’m thinking of getting two 1000 yard guns in 6.5 Creedmoor and with the lower volume I might get back into it on a low volume basis.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Easiest way to determine if your rifle is the problem.
Disassemble it down to the action and remove the spring and guide.
Cycle the action slowly. There should be zero interference.
If there is interference, remove the op rod and cycle thr bolt back and forth. There should be zero interference with safety bridge.
Remove the bolt and install the op rod. Cycle the op rod. There should be zero interference.
If you have any interference with these parts, send it back.
If you have a hard time inserting and releasing your mag, the spring guide slot in the receiver might be too shallow.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I've done most of those things and everything works smoothly. I do have issues inserting and releasing the mags at times, but I have written that off to operator error.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts