M14 Forum banner

Failure to feed repair for Remington 512

203 5
I've had a 512 Sport master for years ,got it from my Father n Law in the 1990's . It always jammed and basically a single shot.
Set in the back of the safe until last week I thought I would test it see what could be done.

Still jammed every shot , so I started doing research .Found several problems but no smoking gun .

Decided to disassemble and found the culprit ,dried hard varnished oil from years ago between carrier and cartridge stop.
After an acetone soak and burnish with scotchbright parts are smooth and clean .
Light CLP and back together they went.

There is an adjustment screw that these parts pivot on which was factory staked.

Tighten all the way and back off until carrier clicks from spring tension.

The tension on this screw is critical how the feed works . once confirmed it feeds every rounds from tube.
Stake the slot with a punch to move metal into screw slot.

I also found a factory burr on the tube feed lip edge.After good brush scrubbing everything worked as intended.

Found the mag tube hit forend before action seated so careful radius scrapper relieved that .

First target test for function ,adjust elevation on second target .
Final group at 25 yards.

Decent trigger pull on these and excellent fine sight picture .
With target ammo this will shoot all X's every time.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Now you got me thinking. I bought a new tube feed Remington bolt action 22 cal. around 1965. Took it out of my vault over 30 years ago and it was all gummed up. Back of the vault it went to be forgotten for many busy years. Tomorrow it's coming out for cleaning, thinking the spray oil's of that period dried out becoming a shellac in consistency. Picture and model coming.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some people just kept flooding action with break free and kicking with adjustment screw.
So many different answers I got .
But some times you have to dig in there and make your own solution.

If I had to guess this is what's wrong with 9 out of 10 of them.

The carrier and cartridge stop are sandwiched together and coupled by a tiny thin boss made onto cartridge stop.
The adjustment screw is also the pivot pin the passes through them via a bushing fit.

When you tighten fully they lock together , they need to be tight enough to stay on boss but move freely so carrier can click up to load cartridge at bolt closing.

A person that wanted to really improve function could polish the two to high level and really check parts for bend,burrs, etc.
They are stamped parts .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts