M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the story:
I've had my M1A Loaded for about a year and have put about 600 shots through it. Never had a problem to extract exept within the first 100 or so shots (probably due to the Indian ammo I was using. I know better now). Even then, the case was still pulled from the chamber, but it would get jammed against the bolt. After I stopped using the Indian junk my problems went away.

Fast forward to about a month ago. After hearing the countless stories of SA extractors flying off the bolts, I replaced it with a Fulton Armory extractor (are they USGI?). I went to the range today and on the THIRD 8O shot the extractor wouldn't pull the case out of the chamber (had to pry it out with a pocket knife).

Has anyone had any problems with FA extractors? Any suggestions are most welcomed

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
I have no experience with Fulton extractors. That being said, it may not be the extractor. It could be the case head is not snapping into the grove of the extractor. Before trying a new extractor, pull the bolt out and give it a very thorough cleaning. I use a old tooth brush with bore solvent to clean the bolt face. Also, I have a fine blade small screw driver that will fit in the recesses of the bolt face & between the extractor and bolt with a patch folded over it. You would be surprised how much gunk can get in that grove in just a few hundred rounds. It could be the extractor too, but always check the simple things first. The Indian ammo may have left some nasty stuff in there as well as the gas assembly. I hope it is just something simple that you can cure easily.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the bolt was clean, since It was the first time I shot the rifle after exchanging the extractor (I also exchanged the ejector and ejector and extractor springs) and the failure happened on the third, fourth and fifth shots using Australian surplus. I clean the rifle after every trip to the range (about 4 times since I bought it).

I never had this problem with the SA extractor and now I think I should've left well enough alone...

That being said, I will look at the bolt tomorrow. Looking at the simple things first is indeed good advice and easily overlooked. Thanks

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
Fulton seemd to be selling allot of non-USGI parts lately so this may be the problem. Also make sure the chamber is clean especially on a chrome lined barrel. If there is any oil, lube or cleaning residue in the chamber, this can cause failures to extract. I found this out the hard way!

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
When you check out the bolt, see if the top corner of the extractor is peened a bit. Sometimes it is necessary to use a fine round chainsaw file and relieve a VERY small amount of metal from the top front corner of some extractors. If the extractor is hitting the barrel hood there, you will see a small dent or burr. If this is the problem, just pop the extractor up from the bolt a little and give it a few licks with a stone or fine file. Push it back in and work the action a few times. If it is still hitting give it a couple more licks & try again. Be careful not to remove too much metal and don't remove any metal from the bolt. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I took the rifle apart today and noticed a couple of things. First, the bolt face had a lot of brass residue on it (I thoroughly cleaned it last time I shot) and 5 shots shouldn't account for it. Second, the Fulton extractor definetely looks like a pretty bad casting. :evil: Can't believe I didnt notice when I installed it. I dont think it can properly engage the case to extract it. :x
I'll probably end up putting the SA extractor back on it until I get a real USGI one.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
FWIW, most people do not have a problem with the SA extractor. USGI extractors are getting hard to find these days. Some companies advertise USGI extractors and sell you a M1 extractor instead. The M1 extractor is very close to the M14, but does need minor fitting to function properly. Bill Ricca had a post on this topic a few months ago. Using the SA extractor sounds like your best bet for know. It is nice to have a backup though. Let me know if you find any USGI extractors. I'd like to get 1 or 2 myself.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
M14 LOVER, thanks for the lead. :D

Jack Orr, I'll probably get a couple from US armory and I'll let you know how they look.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
Thanks interceptor. I didn't even notice you were from Florida too. I'm about 235 miles due north of you. I checked out the link M14 LOVER posted. I think I have enough small parts that I want/need to justify making an order. For the price they are asking for a extractor, it should be USGI. I haven't had one wear out yet, but think I should pick at least one up and a bolt stop or 2.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
I'll try to copy and past the link. This is my first attempt at this so if it doesn't work do a search by author"Bill Ricca" extractor. Here is the link. http://www.m-14forum.com/viewtopic....xtractor&sid=24ea78db63a5c1a6560e5945b857dc21
The image does not show on my browser for some reason. The extractor is cut sharper and a little metal has to be removed 1/64th" at the top front corner. It does fit in the M14 bolt perfect though. Bill is a living encyclopedia on the M14 rifle. I read all his posts, as well as about a dozen others here that forgot more about our beloved rifle than I will ever hope to learn :!: .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.