M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received two oprods from Numerich. They both are in about very good condition, mostly due to condition of the finish. One looks like it was never in a rifle, while the other has some mechanical wear marks in what is left of the finish. What I mean is the parkerizing on both is very faded, a very pale green. What would cause this fading, as one of the oprods has no mechanical wear?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Probably depends on the type of parkerizing that was originally used in combination with the process. Zinc Phosphate is a lighter grey where Manganese Phosphate is charcoal gray, almost black. Manganese Phosphate is what is used mostly of late.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
blfuller said:
Probably depends on the type of parkerizing that was originally used in combination with the process. Zinc Phosphate is a lighter grey where Manganese Phosphate is charcoal gray, almost black. Manganese Phosphate is what is used mostly of late.

Actually, it's nickel manganese phosphate.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are USGI HRA oprods. The first five I bought were in very good condition, with some finish wear. One had very little wear at all! I have installed them in rifles I built and to replace SA Inc oprods. They function with no problems. They have a dark green parkerizing, it is not grey or black!

The two I just received this week are in about very good condition, one has no visible wear marks like it was never in a rifle! The other has some finish wear. The parkerizing has the same greenish tint, but it is very thin or faint. Could this be from exposure to fire?

·
Registered
202 Posts
What if anything can be done to improve/ restore finish quality of such parts condition , short of reparkerizing ? - Moose

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried using Oxpho Cold Blue from Brownells, it darkens them, but there are some spots darker than the rest of the part. Reparkerizing is probably the best method for refinishing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Any suggestions on who to send parts to for reparkerizing ? Are there drawbacks to reparkerizing compared to building with origenal but good finish? -Moose

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.