M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to the forum but lurking for awhile . I think I may have a question I’m not able to find a solution while searching the forums . I have an m1a loaded with a basset low Picatinny mount . I recently purchased a Nikon m tactical 3x12x42 MRAD with Warne medium rings and having trouble getting a good eye relief when mounting the scope . I have pulled the scope back all the way and at 10 power( the most I thinking I’m needing with a little extra ) I’m getting blacked out some around the edges when sitting or holding the rifle on a bench .
So far prone position I’m fine as I’m shouldering closer to the scope but any upright position I’m further away , I have been burying the stock to get closer and it doesn’t feel right . I have yet to shoot it so maybe I’m I’m just over thinking it . I ask , is this normal ? I’m still new to target shooting and the only other scope I’ve used is on my muzzle loader( never had this issue ) I have used iron sights for everything else . Any info to set me in the right direction or get me asking the right questions would be very helpful . If I’m in the wrong forum for this I can try moving it . Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
13,102 Posts
If you are seeing the full reticle, with black around the edges, the scope is too close to your eye. Move it forward. If the reticle is bleeding into the black area around the edge, the scope it too far away. The specs for that scope list 3.6" at high power and 3.9" at low power.

It is very difficult to set a scope up for all powers and all positions. Pick the power setting and shooting position you will use most often. Otherwise, use QR rings and move the scope one position on the rail as needed.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hello,
Try some rings that are thinner, that may help get the scope back closer to your eye. Or, get some extended rings and rotate them 180.
It is a bitch, being LOP challenged... Also, try flipping the buttplate flap up, that will get you about another 1/4 inch closer.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
It's a compromise. It's better for the scope to be a bit too far forward than too close to your eye. For High Power matches, many use a cover with a small hole of about 1/8 inch. Mostly on the rear but some put it on the front. It works well for High Power, maybe not ideal in the field.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is where I’m at . I have measured my eye to bell it’s about 4” and up when I have a good sight picture on low , and just 0ver 3” on 10 . At about 7 power is when the black circle begins encroaching and starts moving around . I may return this scope and find one with more eye relief. I’m comfortable with 4” and over .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
Hello,
Try some rings that are thinner, that may help get the scope back closer to your eye. Or, get some extended rings and rotate them 180.
It is a bitch, being LOP challenged... Also, try flipping the buttplate flap up, that will get you about another 1/4 inch closer.

This would work! get you some different rings to get her back further... I have the same issues and always when mounting a scope on my rifles I seem to have to move them back a half inch in the field where I shoot!

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
I am for returning the scope. That much variation is more than I would want to deal with, and 3" is too close for my taste. When I shop, i look for consistent eye relief near 4" at all power magnification. Depending on what you want to spend, some Bushnell nitro, Vortex diamondback tactical, viper PST, Swfa HD...

·
Registered
759 Posts
This is where I’m at . I have measured my eye to bell it’s about 4” and up when I have a good sight picture on low , and just 0ver 3” on 10 . At about 7 power is when the black circle begins encroaching and starts moving around . I may return this scope and find one with more eye relief. I’m comfortable with 4” and over .
Peterpaul, eye relief and view port size is strictly a factor of magnification and objective size. Not something that can be set arbitrarily by scope maker.

There are benefits from being at excess eye relief distance, one can eliminate parallax error.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Peterpaul, eye relief and view port size is strictly a factor of magnification and objective size. Not something that can be set arbitrarily by scope maker.

There are benefits from being at excess eye relief distance, one can eliminate parallax error.
Please explain. I know that the objective lens size and the magnification determine the exit pupil size. But eye relief is a matter of focus, and it sure seems like some scopes with identical objective lens sizes and magnification ranges behave very differently in that regard.

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
I have issues with my scopes as well guys and am all ears here...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Please explain. I know that the objective lens size and the magnification determine the exit pupil size. But eye relief is a matter of focus, and it sure seems like some scopes with identical objective lens sizes and magnification ranges behave very differently in that regard.
I had to check my notes; I was wrong. I do apologize. The exit pupil size is a factor of magnification and objective size but the eye relief is not.

Obviously, long eye relief scopes do exist.

·
Registered
13,102 Posts
I may return this scope and find one with more eye relief. I’m comfortable with 4” and over .
Very few rifle scopes have over 4" inches of eye relief. 3.5' is normal for a traditional rifle, 2.5 for an AR. For over 4 inches, search for scopes intended for Magnum or Safari rifles. They will usually be low power. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Having done a lot of filtered searches, it seems that about 4 inches is where conventional mounting maxes out. If I can get above 3.75, it seems good enough. When I get to actual keyboard and a span of time, I have much thoughts to unload, but as I learn, it all seems to come back to the theme, "All is compromise, choose that which best suits you." Of course, you don't really know what suits you best until you find what doesn't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts