M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been left eye dominant for over 40 years. I recently helped teach a NRA class and when I demonstrated how to check for eye dominance I discovered I am now right eye dominant.

Has anyone else experienced this ? I don't have any health problems and I can't recall my darling wife giving me a sharp blow to the head while I was sleeping.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
...I can't recall my darling wife giving me a sharp blow to the head while I was sleeping.
Didn't you know? They've been trained to do it only when we sleep, if they do it right they knock us out and we never remember a thing :ARM28:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes,the same thing happened to me this year.I just blamed it on my age,like i do everything else,and Im making adjustments as needed to continue trying to hit the largest targets at the closest possible range;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Shifting eye dominance

I only wish that one eye would remain dominant. I have an issue with eye dominance to were my eye dominance changes throughout the day. I went today to sight iin a new hooded site on my a new to me pistols well as shooting two other pistols that I had sited in before today. To make a long story short I had to shift to a modified weaver stance to where my left eye was getting the correct sight picture. I know that this has been going on for several years and to even confuse the picture even more my eye dominance can change throughout the day. Talk about fun this is not what I had in mind. Until about the age of 40 I was completely right eye dominant. It is tought too get old, when I was a twelve I could shoot the stem of a wasp nest with a bb-rifle and at the age of 23 I could shoot a chicken leg bone with a Colt Python at 15 yards. Now I am lucky to hit a 5 inch target at 15 yards with a pistol when the eyes start changing dominance. I can focus enough with my right eye to site in a rifle for myself but the site picture becomes harder to maintain. Pushing 60 and having this issue is frustrating to say the least. I know I am venting, but I do wish there was a way to fix this problem.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks guys for this thread. Just yesterday I was reading the manual on my ACOG and pulled up the old finger to check eye dominance and to my surprise it has changed. I guess that explains why my pistol shots have not been very accurate and my Aimpoint red dot have not been good with both eyes open.

My eye doctor told me that I had a good size cataract in my strong eye but I have not been interested in removing it because it really doesn't bother me. After reading this thread I will make another appointment with the eye doctor to discuss removing it if that will bring back my 20/20 vision again.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.