M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am a new owner of a M1A I had a friend build for me from the parts I took him. Twice when I was putting in a mag. the ECI popped the extractor out, luckly I was able to find it. My question is are the M1 and an M1A extractor the same or is one long or different? Thanks, BILL

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Check to see if the bottom of the post on the extractor sticks out below the edge of the bolt when it is assembled. This usually happens with M1 extractors but can happen with even G.I. M14 extractors.
If it is most likely a round in the magazine is hitting the bottom of the extractor post and pop goes the weasel. It's not uncommon but can be fixed by removing material until the post is just short of flush with the bolt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Check to see if the bottom of the post on the extractor sticks out below the edge of the bolt when it is assembled. This usually happens with M1 extractors but can happen with even G.I. M14 extractors.
If it is most likely a round in the magazine is hitting the bottom of the extractor post and pop goes the weasel. It's not uncommon but can be fixed by removing material until the post is just short of flush with the bolt.

Could a extractor post that sticks out past the bottom edge of a bolt be a variable in a FTF issue??

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
treelinem14.com has the beretta m14 extractorsGI2
These are fantastic extractors. Best I have used in M1 and M1A/M14 platforms. They do not extend from the bolt and are every bit, if not superior to, the USGI equivalent. I believe they were produced for the BM59. If it can stand up to that beast......

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I was able to prove just this week that the bolt doesn't have to pass over a round in the mag to pop the extractor. I was practicing slow fire where you insert just one round in the mag and pull/release the op rod. The extractor went flying out and I spent about an hour looking through fallen leaves for that $40 part. Found it eventually.

Even though I thought I had inspected the extractor tail for petruding past the bottom of the bolt, I must have missed something. Upon inspecting the extractor (a supposed GI extractor), I noticed a tiny shiny spot on the very bottom where it had obviously rubbed something.

Popping extractors has been my #1 beef with my M1A and is one of the main reasons I retired it from HP competition. It is a shame because I really, truly, enjoy shooting that rifle in competition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.