M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know opinions vary on whether to replace the extractor right off the bat or wait til it breaks. But I am left wondering, "How difficult is it to replace a broken extractor at the range?" I ordered replacement parts from treelinem14, including a usgi extractor. I still have not gotten to the range, due to a series of unfortunate events. I wanted to shoot the rifle (sai scout) in its out-of-the-box state before replacing parts (sadlak Op Rod spring guide, GS shims, m1 Garand trigger) so as to get a baseline for improvements. But if the horror stories about sai extractors come true for me at the range, would that spell the end of my range day? Or is it as easy as using the 30-06 casing like I did when I first broke the rifle down and lubed it up?

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
its that easy...

.but dont forget on a SAI you need to check the firing pin protrusion...

and then you must make sure you have proper lug contact, and then the reciever bridge may be out of spec. All which requires a very accuracy micrometer with a usb outlet. Check all this with an electron microscope (sometimes SAI uses metals who's molucular structure is ... well questionable.)

You'll need to make sure you dont have a binding bolt roller, and of course that the barrel is properly knurled and not quickly glued.

At the very least you need to remove all the parts, send them off for magnetic particle inspection, then place them in a coffee can for at least 20 years (its why USGI parts are so good, they are aged)

The best thing to do is order a rockola, or lrb reciever and a parts kit from treeline, and shoot it while someone does all this to your sai to make it worthy.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
My range bag has a small "tool" kit that includes 30.06 case and punch, with a spare extractor. Hex key & screwdriver for sights, spanner for gas plug, etc. AR15 extractor and spring for my friends, brass rod for the guy on the next line with a dud reload...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I've got a punch in my bag, along with a 30-06 casing. I was concerned that if it did break during firing that I wouldn't be able to swap it at the range.

Dredsen~ Thanks for the laughs. 20 years in a coffee can...hee hee hee.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts