M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be able to use Garand and M14 extractors with no functionality difference in my M1A's.

What are the specific mechanical differences in the two (if any)?

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you install an M1 extractor that does not have the bevel chances are very good that you will suffer spontaneous bolt disassembly in the middle of a rapid string in the middle of a match and then you will find yourself on your hands and knees in front of the firing line during brass call looking for the parts that are no longer in your bolt.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
If you install an M1 extractor that does not have the bevel chances are very good that you will suffer spontaneous bolt disassembly in the middle of a rapid string in the middle of a match and then you will find yourself on your hands and knees in front of the firing line during brass call looking for the parts that are no longer in your bolt.
I get the feeling that you know what you are talking about. Just sayin'. GI2

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
The bevel has nothing to do with the issue you speak of.

The geometry of the Blank cartridge case necessitated the modification of the extractor by creating the bevel. The firing of Ball cartridges did not result in the problem experienced when firing Blank cartridges. In fact, the first design of the Blank cartridge had a case like the .30 cal. M1909 Blank, but the case was redesigned to accommodate use in the M60 Machine Gun and that then resulted in the problem experienced in the M14 Rifle.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yes I know the history of the bevel. I also know that new tight magazines will raise the force required to strip a round high enough that without the bevel the extractor gets pushed out of the bolt. Before acquiring a new in wrap TRW bolt with a set of USGI internals I ground a bevel on the M1 extractor and it never came out again.
Trust me on this. ;-)

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,298 Posts
GardenValley: It's odd, but just changing a part even though it is made to the exact same specification can indeed make a difference in how the rifle functions. This is true of extractors and many other parts on the M14. Something as un-noticeable as the replacement of a gas piston can effect a rifles accuracy. Springs, ejector tip shape, and the difference in the minor change made to get the M14 to fire blanks without the extractor coming out of the bolt do effect various functions. Even two seemingly identical extractors can render different results.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I know when I replaced the 100% reliable, but frowned upon, Springfield extractor with a PB one - I started getting FTE every other magazine. Back in went the old one.

Looking at the PB, it doesn't have a bevel (well, it does NOW). One of theses days, I'll drop it in and see if that fixed the problem.

Rich

·
Registered
193 Posts
Horizontal ejection - SA Bolt

All,

My SA bolt flips the ammo up pretty high on the way out... seems higher than 45 deg. Anyway, my scope is low mounted so the brass will contact the windage turret.

I have already clipped a spare ejector plunger spring down significantly but this just appears to have adjusted the strength of the ejection and the "oclock" direction of ejection if looking from the sky.

Regardless of oclock position, I want the brass to eject horizontally, or near to zero degrees from the horizon.

I'm looking at a couple options... modifying my SA extractor, or mounting an M1 extractor that looks like it grips the casing mostly from the side and not from the top.

Who has actually tuned their rifle to eject horizontally? I'd like your experience.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
All,

My SA bolt flips the ammo up pretty high on the way out... seems higher than 45 deg. Anyway, my scope is low mounted so the brass will contact the windage turret.

I have already clipped a spare ejector plunger spring down significantly but this just appears to have adjusted the strength of the ejection and the "oclock" direction of ejection if looking from the sky.

Regardless of oclock position, I want the brass to eject horizontally, or near to zero degrees from the horizon.

I'm looking at a couple options... modifying my SA extractor, or mounting an M1 extractor that looks like it grips the casing mostly from the side and not from the top.

Who has actually tuned their rifle to eject horizontally? I'd like your experience.

Thanks in advance.
Hummm, so your rifle ejects cases like a brass rainbow.... This might be worth a try, and I've done it a time or two. Try too polish the underside of the extractors hook where it makes contact on the case rim. That might help the case slick off the extractor a little earlier changing its latitude.

Reactions: Banshee8
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.