M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

Maybe someone on here can give me some ideas about what's going on or better said, not going on w/ my Rem. .300 Win Mag. I'm all outta tricks and it's not that I hate going to a qualified gunsmith (and we have an awesome one here in Central Florida), I just hate for something to stump me like this has.

Short version: Close bolt on a round, pull trigger, BANG, open bolt, Sako extractor pulls empty case maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of the length of the empty case and simply lets go. Have to "dig" the fired case out of the action to proceed.

Pacnor did the following: action truing, bbl installation, fluting of the bolt, tactical handle conversion. Pacnor did not install the Sako extractor, but they sent the bolt to another gunsmith while they had it.

I installed the Badger Ord. 5 rd drop magazine bottom metal to the HS Precision stock, trigger work, mounted US Optics SN 3-17 scope, etc.

Extraction has been a problem from day 1, but nothing makes sense. I'm VERY happy w/ the work Pacnor did and the rifle in general other than this problem. It has a 28" bbl that is a little over an inch in diameter. Maybe the bbl is too heavy for the receiver and there is some canting going on?? Bbl free floats after maybe a couple inches beyond receiver shoulder. The rifle weighs just under 20 lbs w/ no mag. Most of that weight is by far the bbl.

The spring under the Sako extractor has always seemed very weak to me so I just recently replaced it w/ a much stronger one (Brownell's) and replaced the ejector spring w/ a stronger one as well. Then I noticed that a lower, corner edge of the extractor was slightly elevated above the bolt face so I filed that corner of the extractor down to even w/ the bolt face and still no luck. Do I need a larger extractor installed or something????

Any ideas?? Sorry for the long version!!

Thanks in advance,
Nuklhed
Ft. Meade, FL

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
a 28" 1" barrel isnt hurting or bending the reciever. your problems lies with that sako extractor. im no fan of the sako conversion, but i believe you need to consult with a gunsmith who does them. quite possible who ever installed yours didnt get it in the proper place in the bolt. ive seen pics and complaints about them before, too high in the bolt, too low, not out far enough, and too far out. its all dependent on whomever installed it. im not concerned about the barrel weight until your 1.25" and 30"long, and since yours is bedded the first inch or two, its absolutely no concern. i would go do a search over at BR central in the gunsmithing forum, there have been a few discussions about the sako extractor over the years over there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Lefty O! I appreciate your time and sharing. It's good to know it's not the bbl weight....this is my first bolt gun and I sort of imagined it then built it w/out much knowledge of mechanics. I'm sure you are correct though...I'll check out that website and maybe take it to Mr. Dow's shop before long. Many Thanks, Kent

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Panco did the work, you paid them and it is not functioning properly. SO take it back to them and ask them to fix it. But put back the Sako extractor that you replaced.

What was wrong with the original extractor?

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
I agree with lefty o. I see you're from Fort Meade, do you have any good ranges down there?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Broken Vet: To answer your question about what was wrong w/ the original extractor.....if you are referring to the original Remington extractor....absolutely nothing as far as I know, I just wanted a Sako installed. This is my first bolt gun so limited knowledge on my part. Also, I didn't replace the Sako extractor itself, just the spring.

This was back in early '08, so I can't remember who did this work for Pacnor. I could be wrong, but Panco doesn't ring a bell?? Again, I could be wrong... Yes, I'm just now getting around to realizing I can't fix it, LOL!!

GARRARD: Yes sir, there is a very nice one in Bradenton I believe...goes out to 1K...I think they charge 15 bucks for the day. Fortunately, I can shoot on my own property...at least for now..

·
Registered
455 Posts
In my experience with other rifles, if the cartridge falls off the bolt face it is due to insufficient extractor tension.

The Rem 700 has a spring loaded ejector and that is pushing the cartridge off the bolt face.

A guess, maybe the extractor lip is a little high on the bolt face.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.