M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since joining this board I have seen some amazing work done by members, in builds from parts, mods and stock finishing. I also know a few of us are like me with minimal talents and more likely to bubba a project than produce a work of art.
That lack of skill on my part has led me to seek alternative ways of applying camouflage to a gun. As mentioned in a previous post, I recently wrapped my USGI stock in a plastic covering from "Gunskins" with fair to middl'n results.
That led me to try another technique called "hydrographics", a water transfer ink pattern.
The pics of Lulu is Gunskins.
The pics of my UZI, (I know, I know, please forgive me, I have not worked up to multiple M14s yet), is done with hydro dipping, again with mixed results I think.
Both processes require a learning curve to do really well. I am curious to know if anyone else here has tried either technique and what comments y'all might have.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I always have a soft spot in my heart for Atacs camo. In my area the AU pattern works great year round and matches the dirty snow look in winter. I have a stock dipped in the AU but it came out a darker green which makes it a perfect in between for the AU and FG.

·
Administrator
17,408 Posts
Wow, I like the pattern that you have on the M14 Big Kahuna. Good color scheme, but you didn't touch the vented handguard.

DI5

·
Registered
823 Posts
Hydro dipping is tough. I know a shop in town that does it cheap so I had them hydro dip some random stuff for me a while back. If you can get it down, it will look great.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I like the pattern that you have on the M14 Big Kahuna. Good color scheme, but you didn't touch the vented handguard.

DI5
XXIV Corps, I gave up trying to cover the handguard with the Gunskin. If the surface is large and relatively flat, the wrap is easy to apply smooth, but a vented hand guard is small, tapered, with slots, irregularities,etc. Got the better of me. Need more practice I guess.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,456 Posts
Looks good, I have to give you props for having the spheres to do it, I'm not so adventurous, gonna send off my Socom's arctic USGI fiberglass stock to a shop to have it dipped in camo.
m14brian

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How robust is the finish

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
I think the Gunskin will hold up well in the field 'cause it's vinyl.
The toughness of the hydro dip on the UZI probably depends on the number of coats and type of clear finish applied at the end. And excessive surface thickness can be an issue with hydrographics due to the surface prep required.
I'm still learning the techniques so any advice and input is appreciated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good, I have to give you props for having the spheres to do it, I'm not so adventurous, gonna send off my Socom's arctic USGI fiberglass stock to a shop to have it dipped in camo.
m14brian
It was desperation that drove me. Seeing some of the work posted up here led me to find a method that needed less artistic talent.
You should really give it a whirl. Lots of how to vids on You Tube to give you ideas and tips. Lots of kits available for the "home craftsman". Practice on a cheap gun and stuff around the house, garage, etc. Like to see some other members here try it and get some feedback from y'all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts