M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Colt HBAR out to my buddies property on St Helena island yesterday and we pounded two bandoleers of SB SS109 through her. And incidently that stuff will do a number on circular saw blades, clean thru it at better than a hundred yards(next time a Kevlar and a flak vest are gonna get some treatment). But back to my subject.
I had lubed the rifle with Tetra gun oil instead of CLP just to see if there was any difference, lemme tell ya there was a BIG difference 8O .
Well I stripped the upper receiver and dissassembled the bolt carrier, and proceeded to put the bolt carrier, firing pin, and the other not so small parts in a mixture of scolding water and dish soap, the upper receiver got put under a hot running water faucet as well as the bolt.
The bolt came clean as a whistle with very little labor, the carbon build up behind the gas rings came off with a couple swipes of a paper towel and the inside was swabbed out with wooden handled swabbes, then put aside to dry.
The upper receiver had HOT water run through it from where the gas tube comes out back along the charging handle raceway. The bolt carrier and the other parts were cleaned with Dawn dish soap, an old toothbrush, and wood handled swabbs, then set aside to dry before reassembly.
Now came the hard part the upper receiver...............I cleaned the inside of the upper before I cleaned the barrel just because of all the nooks and crannies. The hot water broke loose and washed away the majority of the carbon fouling but I still had to do ALOT of rubbing with Q-tips and old t-shirt sleeves, but far less than I would normally have done cleaning the receiver normally. After the inside was cleaned I cleaned the barrel and chamber as I usually do. The only differenthing I had to do was spry the rear sight with WD40 just in case to purge the water from the guts of the sight.
From there the receiver was assembled as usual.
I thought that since I tried something different in the AR arena I would post my reults.
Hope it helps some one else, of all my rifles I dislike cleaning my AR's the most.

RRVI

·
Registered
608 Posts
RRVI,

Just kinda curious, how long have you been cleaning your rifle under hot water. never heard of anyone doing it like this but if it works and doesn't hurt the rifle...

Thanks for the report too.

-T

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TB
Yesterday was the first time, I was feelin kinda lazy actually and figures it couldnt hurt the steel or the aluminum as long as I didnt let it sit after I used the water

RRVI

·
Registered
608 Posts
My dad uses hot soapy water for cleaning the black powder stuff, I believe that’s the way it’s supposed to be done.

That MPro7 stuff cleans fairly well and doesn’t seem like it’s a solvent rather a water based cleaner.

-T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.