M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an experienced and preferably recommended M1A gunsmith in Missouri or one of the surrounding states. Someone experienced in accuracy and bedding jobs. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I am looking for an experienced and preferably recommended M1A gunsmith in Missouri or one of the surrounding states. Someone experienced in accuracy and bedding jobs. Any help would be appreciated.
What is it that you are looking to have done? While its nice to find a good smith who is local and is also an M14 enthusiast and dedicated solely to the rifle, they are far a few between. Most that I know of local to me, do not advertise and will only work on a local shooter basis, like with local competitors that they know, since their main jobs are not specifically gunsmithing, but other related industries like machining or welding, and just happen to know the ins and outs of the rifle, since they are long time shooters as well...

If you are just looking for general accuracy upgrades then the safe choice is to go with Fulton or some outfit of that nature. If you need something specific, just ask around. You may find someone who knows exactly whats needs getting done. Many shooters and subsequent gunsmiths got into the business learning to shoot service rifle. Its a very common point of departure for all things shooting relating. No decent smith will know absolutely nothing about the M1A, unless he has only ever worked on and shot handguns, but also on that note, even if he does know a thing or two, he may not want the work, since it can be frustrating with all the different parts available and tools required. For instance, some smiths will not touch Chinese receivers, even though they have the skill...

Talk to the smiths that frequent the forum...Ted Brown, etc...

BTW: Springfield Armory Inc is in a surrounding state to you, Illinois....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is it that you are looking to have done? While its nice to find a good smith who is local and is also an M14 enthusiast and dedicated solely to the rifle, they are far a few between. Most that I know of local to me, do not advertise and will only work on a local shooter basis, like with local competitors that they know, since their main jobs are not specifically gunsmithing, but other related industries like machining or welding, and just happen to know the ins and outs of the rifle, since they are long time shooters as well...

If you are just looking for general accuracy upgrades then the safe choice is to go with Fulton or some outfit of that nature. If you need something specific, just ask around. You may find someone who knows exactly whats needs getting done. Many shooters and subsequent gunsmiths got into the business learning to shoot service rifle. Its a very common point of departure for all things shooting relating. No decent smith will know absolutely nothing about the M1A, unless he has only ever worked on and shot handguns, but also on that note, even if he does know a thing or two, he may not want the work, since it can be frustrating with all the different parts available and tools required. For instance, some smiths will not touch Chinese receivers, even though they have the skill...

Talk to the smiths that frequent the forum...Ted Brown, etc...

BTW: Springfield Armory Inc is in a surrounding state to you, Illinois....
Basically all I am looking for is someone with experience to do a first class bedding job. I have a rear lugged LRB built barreled action and a McMillan stock that I just don't have the nerve to bed myself. I would like to find someone semi local because the thought of shipping it off to a relative stranger after all the time and money invested in getting all this together doesn't exactly make me comfortable if it can be avaoided.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Basically all I am looking for is someone with experience to do a first class bedding job. I have a rear lugged LRB built barreled action and a McMillan stock that I just don't have the nerve to bed myself. I would like to find someone semi local because the thought of shipping it off to a relative stranger after all the time and money invested in getting all this together doesn't exactly make me comfortable if it can be avaoided.
I see. I was scared senseless doing my first bedding job, so I can appreciate your concern. Its enough to take a few days off of one's life. I would talk to some of the stock folk who work on benchrest rifles. Alex over at Master Class Stocks is a maestro in terms of "all things stock related" and is a very trustworthy man. I do not however know if he can or would do a 14 bedding job, but in terms of knowing how to bed an action into a stock he's one of the best. Give him a shout. See what he says....

You can always do what some of us have done and just sucked it up, got schooled up as best we could, and took the plunge. Its not overtly difficult, you just have to pay attention and set time aside to do it. You don't want to do it 2 hours before a wedding or anything...

I dont know if Springfield would do one that wasnt made by them, but you could ask...

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
JYWolfe and Ted Brown are both staunch supporters of this forum. Give them a shout. I have dealt with both and have zero complaints. Both are highly recommended. If they are busy, give Art Luppino a shout as he also is held in high regard.

I'd also recommend Gus Fisher, but he works locally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts