M14 Forum banner

Excellent customer service - Leupold and a 32-year old scope

683 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  lumpywolf223
I just got my 1990-dated Leupold M3A Ultra back from Leupold via their “warranty-inspection” program. Quick history: I bought this scope years ago for my 2nd XM25 replica project. However when I finally used it this autumn on my rifle, I could not get the Point of Impact (POI) to zero at 100 yards. It ran out of adjustment for elevation and windage. I had experienced this before with another M3A Ultra, so I sent it off with a letter re the issue.

It came back about 4 weeks later, and they replaced the elevation adjustment system and cleaned the controls. Per their receipt, it came to them with only 25 MOA of elevation adjustment and 35 MOA of windage adjustment. Following their tune-up, it now has 79 MOA of vertical adjustment and 75 MOA of windage adjustment, which is what it’s supposed to have. They also replaced one of the plastic scope caps per my request. The elevation knob also turns much easier now, as before it was overly stiff.

This repair was free of charge and return shipping was also free. This is the 4th vintage tactical scope over the past five years that I have sent them under their “warranty-inspection” program, and all were repaired free of charge (for similar issues). That is truly excellent customer service for these 30 plus year old tactical scopes. Just an fyi for anyone else who purchases one of these old scopes that needs a tune-up due to limited adjustments.
Font Material property Technology Design Paper
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
333 Posts
Leupold has excellent customer service. I haven't had an issue with one of their scopes yet. But 30+ years ago I had issues sighting in a Remington 700P .308 with a Vari-X III 3.5-10 Target model, ran out of elevation. Called Leupold and got a tech, explained the situation. He asked when I purchased the rifle and if new, said yes. Told me the problem was those Remington 700s were profiled a little low in the back. He said I needed a shim and didn't like my ring mount combo.
Leupold tech sent me shims, new rings, and mount for FREE.

· Registered
752 Posts
Leupold has excellent customer service. I haven't had an issue with one of their scopes yet. But 30+ years ago I had issues sighting in a Remington 700P .308 with a Vari-X III 3.5-10 Target model, ran out of elevation. Called Leupold and got a tech, explained the situation. He asked when I purchased the rifle and if new, said yes. Told me the problem was those Remington 700s were profiled a little low in the back. He said I needed a shim and didn't like my ring mount combo.
Leupold tech sent me shims, new rings, and mount for FREE.
Even my M24 needed to have the scope base bedded. I've only handled a few, and have 2 myself, but all those 700s need to have the scope base bedded at the rear. Remington 700 receivers were finished by hand at the rear scope mount location, and that is the reason so many are out of spec.

Reactions: Rodinal220

· Premium Member
5,897 Posts
You're lucky RG. The one I sent in using almost word for word the letter you had originally sent them for your 1st one that you sent me a copy of a few years back. What they sent me back no longer had the Ultra M-3A marked tube, and about the only thing left from the original scope are the turret covers and IIRC the ocular bell.. Front bell is marked on the ring Leupold Mark 4 10,40 LR/T . They had called me to see if I wanted one part replaced (small fee) forget what it was. I did not authorize them to, well, basically send me a different scope. I called and complained, even wrote the pres of L&S (did not receive an answer) was told that what I received was what L&S would have sent to the govt if a scope came in under warrantee. I'm sure this is a very good scope but the whole point was for it to go on my M25. What really annoyed me was when the guy called to ask about replacing the one part, turned out he was in armored forces during gulf war 1 and understood my passion for historic correctness. He said he would put a note on my scope before it went to the technicians stating same. I was pissed, to say the least, with what I got back, and at some point it will be for sale.
Ended up getting another L&S Ultra 10x M3A along with a remmy 700 my Buddy wanted for his son. We split the cost.

· Premium Member
5,897 Posts
M1sniper, that’s too bad about your vintage scope. It would seem unusual to swap out the entire main tube, unless damaged. Anyhow, glad you finally got a Leupold vintage scope.
Yeah, I was bummed. BUT the scope on that came on the Remmy is real good! When arrived, we test fired and I moved the adjustments all over the place, and it shot right where aimed out to 300 yrds.

· Registered
409 Posts
Leupold has excellent customer service.
Yep. Sent in a Redfield Revenge for repair two years ago...Leupold called me and said they no longer repair those and would I be interested in an equivalent Leupold scope. I thought about it for .25 seconds at least and said yes. The scope they let me choose was twice the price I paid for the Redfield and way better. Got my vote!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts