M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heavily into AR15s and Saiga 12s. A good day for me is shooting 500-600 rounds through my Saiga 12s and 200-300 through my favorite AR. "I've been tinkering with weapons since I owned my first SKS.... 20 years ago 8)

Some of you may have seen my Saiga 12 dump videos on youtube. I do it mainly to inspire others that their S12 can run well off of affordable ammo too.

The M14....
I was watching show on History or the Military channel a few days ago and saw a FA M14. WOW!!!! What a ride! It sparked my interest in the platform and I am going to do a ton of research before I even consider buying one. I would like to have a basic knowledge of them, what configurations might suit my style, who makes the best trigger (I'm a sucker for glass triggers, lol), and how strong aftermarket support is for the platform.

Anyways, here I am and if anyone needs help with a Saiga 12, I know my way around them very well and know how to make them impressively reliable. I am always willing to help.

Best Regards to All,
evl....

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I'm heavily into AR15s and Saiga 12s. A good day for me is shooting 500-600 rounds through my Saiga 12s and 200-300 through my favorite AR. "I've been tinkering with weapons since I owned my first SKS.... 20 years ago 8)

Some of you may have seen my Saiga 12 dump videos on youtube. I do it mainly to inspire others that their S12 can run well off of affordable ammo too.

The M14....
I was watching show on History or the Military channel a few days ago and saw a FA M14. WOW!!!! What a ride! It sparked my interest in the platform and I am going to do a ton of research before I even consider buying one. I would like to have a basic knowledge of them, what configurations might suit my style, who makes the best trigger (I'm a sucker for glass triggers, lol), and how strong aftermarket support is for the platform. Anyways, here I am and if anyone needs help with a Saiga 12, I know my way around them very well and know how to make them impressively reliable. I am always willing to help.

Best Regards to All,
evl....
Just Checking...
But You Do Understand That Full-Auto M14's Are Not Manufactured Since 1986 EXCEPT For The Military And Law Enforcement And Those Full-Auto M14's That Were Registered Pre The 1986 Ban Are NFA CLASS III Items And Sell For About $20,000 And Up ?

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just Checking...
But You Do Understand That Full-Auto M14's Are Not Manufactured Since 1986 EXCEPT For The Military And Law Enforcement And Those Full-Auto M14's That Were Registered Pre The 1986 Ban Are NFA CLASS III Items And Sell For About $20,000 And Up ?

GI2

CAVman in WYoming
I am very familiar with NFA. One of my businesses is taking off like crazy and my wife doesn't care what I do with my money as long as the bills are paid, so I see many more NFA items in my furture. May as well enjoy it, right? I am waiting on 5 right now. Besides, it would make my Dad extremely happy to fire a real M14 again. He is a DMV.... Agent Orange. Vietnam Vet. In decent shape considering what he has been through. He hates my Black Rifles and has been on me about an M14 for a long time.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I am very familiar with NFA. One of my businesses is taking off like crazy and my wife doesn't care what I do with my money as long as the bills are paid, so I see many more NFA items in my furture. May as well enjoy it, right? I am waiting on 5 right now. Besides, it would make my Dad extremely happy to fire a real M14 again. He is a DMV.... Agent Orange. Vietnam Vet. In decent shape considering what he has been through. He hates my Black Rifles and has been on me about an M14 for a long time.
Give Your Dad My Best Regards!
Welcome Home, Brother!
And Best Wishes Regarding His Agent Orange Struggles...
(it truly is a terrible, terrible legacy...)

What Unit Did Your Dad Serve With, And When Was He There?
Very Likely There Are Guys Here From That Unit and Maybe Even That Time And Place!

Oh Yeah, If You Have $ To Spend, This Is THE Place To Find Things To Buy That You Didn't Even Know Existed, Much Less That You Really Needed Them!

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Give Your Dad My Best Regards!
Welcome Home, Brother!
And Best Wishes Regarding His Agent Orange Struggles...
(it truly is a terrible, terrible legacy...)

What Unit Did Your Dad Serve With, And When Was He There?
Very Likely There Are Guys Here From That Unit and Maybe Even That Time And Place!

Oh Yeah, If You Have $ To Spend, This Is THE Place To Find Things To Buy That You Didn't Even Know Existed, Much Less That You Really Needed Them!

GI2

CAVman in WYoming
My Dad was there '68-'69 as an Engineer in the 815th. He spent many a night with a .50, an M79, and two boxes of hand grenades.... and spent many a morning pulling Charlie out of the wire. Sometimes it was even locals that would sell them things or trade with them by day. Talk about working both sides of the fence....

He rarely ever "saw" the enemy while the most action was going on. Usually, the sound of beer cans rattling in the wire would start things off with him firing the .50 into the darkness. Sometimes he was "greeted" with small arms fire and RPGs while on watch. All of this was usually at night. The daytime sometimes yielded sniping attemps by the enemy and attempted destruction of completed work.

After his tour was up, he considered himself very fortunate to still be alive and called his military service "done". Little did he know that he was carrying a piece of the Vietnam War with him.... other than the memories of things that he'd wished he never saw. By the time the '80s rolled around, he was starting to experience the effects of Agent Orange which eventually led to him having to retire in the late '90s, which was very hard for him to accept. We worked together for 7 years at the same company and really had some great times. Toward the end, there were times where I thought he would die in my arms. It was hard for me to see him have to throw in the towel, but I knew he was better off getting some R&R. I wouldn't be the same person had it not been for that time together.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NorCal. Looks like you will find your way around here without any trouble so have fun.

Please send my best to your dad, I served with the 18th Engr Bde out of Dong Ba Thin 2/69 to 2/70.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.