M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having used what may be a faulty statistic on the number of school shootings since the December 2012 Sandy Hook tragedy, CNN reported that it “took a closer look at the list” that has been pandered by Michael Bloomberg’s “Everytown for Gun Safety,” and its associated group, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America (MDA).

Now, CNN is not alone in its questioning of the statistic. The Portland Oregonian, National Review and Spectator all have on-line stories. And Alan Gottlieb, chairman of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, has issued a press release suggesting that Bloomberg change the name of his $50 million organization to "Every Liar for Gun Safety."

MDA founder Shannon Watts yesterday repeated the questionable statistic in an Op-Ed piece she wrote for the New York Daily News, that there have been 74 school shootings since Sandy Hook. As Examiner reported yesterday, The Blaze published several Twitter notes from journalist Charles Johnson that debunked the Everytown/MDA claim.

Here is what Watts said in the article: “(T)hese shootings also reinforce a troubling reality: 74 school shootings have occurred in the last 18 months since the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary, yet elected officials have continually failed to enact common-sense reforms to fix our broken gun laws.”

Here is what CNN reported:

"The statistic came from a group called Everytown for Gun Safety, an umbrella group started by former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a passionate and public advocate of gun control.

"Without a doubt, that number is startling.

"So on Wednesday, CNN took a closer look at the list, delving into the circumstances of each incident Everytown included.

"Everytown says on its web site that it gleans its information from media reports and that its list includes school shootings involving a firearm discharged inside or on school grounds, including assaults, homicides, suicides and accidental shootings.

"CNN determined that 15 of the incidents Everytown included were situations similar to the violence in Oregon -- a minor or adult actively shooting inside or near a school. That works out to about one shooting every five weeks."

CNN’s analysis determined that just 15 of the incidents on the Bloomberg group’s list appear to be genuine school shootings that "were situations similar to the violence in Oregon," as opposed to the remaining 59, which may be questionable at best. Those include gang-related incidents, suicides and even one slaying that might be a case of domestic violence. Of course, 15 verifiable school shootings is too high a number, say gun rights activists, but it is nowhere near 74.
Read more: http://www.examiner.com/article/did-cnn-just-call-bloomberg-s-everytown-group-liars

You know it's bad when CNN starts calling out the gun grabbers.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I would not be surprised, considering their abysmal ratings, that this is a ploy to convince
gun owners that they are more trying to be more *reasonable* towards us.

I don't trust them

Thanks for posting the info, Garrard!

Reactions: GARRARD

·
Administrator
17,400 Posts
Thanks GARRARD for the thread ... Michael Bloomberg’s henchmen at it again rewriting history.

DIEVIL

·
Registered
362 Posts
The next time an anti 2A liberal demands universal back ground checks, ask how is performing a back ground check on an individual that is 21 years or older going to stop a 14 year old child high on Ritalin from shooting a class mate in a drug free, gun free school zone.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Another lie..

From NPR

"40% of all private gun sales involve no background check"

·
13,515 Posts
The next time an anti 2A liberal demands universal back ground checks, ask how is performing a back ground check on an individual that is 21 years or older going to stop a 14 year old child high on Ritalin from shooting a class mate in a drug free, gun free school zone.
If you think 10mg of ritalin turns a bad kid into a sociopath your just as ignorant as the antis.

Keep pushing the mental health stuff an you will get your guns taken up someday due to one thing or another.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These newest gun grabber groups are nothing short of fanatical. Gun grabbers have always lied about their "facts" but those lies were usually a twisted truth or misrepresented statistics. These new groups are just throwing feces against the wall, hoping something will stick.

Reactions: ray55classic

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
It's on the web it'll never go away

Even though the likes of CNN has branded this an obvious lie, the retractions are never as BIG and BOLD as the LIES are.Two years or twenty years down the road this bold faced LIE will be referenced , sourced , and recited as FACT

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you think 10mg of ritalin turns a bad kid into a sociopath your just as ignorant as the antis.

Keep pushing the mental health stuff an you will get your guns taken up someday due to one thing or another.
My point is there is no security in the schools. If legislators truly were concerned about the children they would work to promote school security. Putting up a sign saying gun free or drug free is not security. Don't attack me It sounds like your child needs 10mg of Ritalin to attend Heroin High, no child left behind.

·
13,515 Posts
Ok you lost me....

Point is the grabbers are slinging the feces.

And pro gun folks keep parroting this "common sense mental health reform" when they have no clue about the consequences of the government deciding who is "mentally fit" to own or buy guns.

If the grabbers figure that out and latch on they will have your guns in short order.

Your point about school safety is valid.
What frightens me is the idea that senior citizens could end up disarmed for mental health reasons the moment they tell their doctor they are beginning to forget things.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Another lie..

From NPR

"40% of all private gun sales involve no background check"
Prior to 1968, 100% of all gun sales involved no BG check, and crime was much lower, even adjusted for population. What does this tell us about the 'Great Society" or the "War on Drugs" or even Dr. Spock? Maybe we should go back to pre 68 laws, it couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ok you lost me....

Point is the grabbers are slinging the feces.

And pro gun folks keep parroting this "common sense mental health reform" when they have no clue about the consequences of the government deciding who is "mentally fit" to own or buy guns.

If the grabbers figure that out and latch on they will have your guns in short order.

Your point about school safety is valid.
What frightens me is the idea that senior citizens could end up disarmed for mental health reasons the moment they tell their doctor they are beginning to forget things.
The original post was about fudged numbers of school shootings. The antis are using school shootings as their main platform. Universal back ground checks are not going to stop children from shooting children. John Larson my congress man from CT took to the house floor demanding universal back ground checks in light of all the school shootings since Newtown. I called his office and asked how this will prevent further school shootings, I could not get a response except for no comment. My point is they could care less about children and school safety. They want more control. They need and want more school shootings They fudge the numbers and embrace actual shootings to further their agenda of destroying the 2nd amendment. You are right about mental health. As soon a congress has control of who has mental health issues the list of candidates will start with universal back ground checks. It all ties in together.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Prior to 1968, 100% of all gun sales involved no BG check, and crime was much lower, even adjusted for population. What does this tell us about the 'Great Society" or the "War on Drugs" or even Dr. Spock? Maybe we should go back to pre 68 laws, it couldn't hurt.
Don't forget to account for the cultural shift.

Many young people of that era were a heck of a lot more mature and responsible than the effete, pewling dreck we see today. Everything today is without responsibility or consequence to them.

I'd also wager the lack of experience and training with what we considered commonplace is also a consideration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts