M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... shooting NATO Surplus 7.62x51/.308 147gr at a thousand yards???

Or better yet, what is the furthest you've shot 147gr .308/7.62x51 and actually hit what your aiming at???

POPCORN1

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have fired the combo you mention at 1000yds and it is not the best combo.
No question the 147gr bullet will travel that far, but accuracy is not there. Personally I feel the M14 w/ good bullets, 175's, is an excellent 800yd firearm and accurate as well.
Kind of like the story about the locomotive, slow to start, but hell to stop once unerway.
Lighter bullet starts out fast, but does not retain it's velocity at extended ranges and can go sub sonic on you at 1000 and wobble, tumble, etc. whereas the heavier match grade bullet will retain suffecient velocity to be supersonic and deliver accurate shot placement. Have ready access to 1000yd range and for sight in purposes have a large boulder painted white in front to see hits and the 147's hit it, but at random. Truth of the matter is the 168's not much better at that range, but the 175's do well in comparison. Boulder used to check zero/wind, etc. and then switch to proper target. The target face for 1000yds is 72" square and believe the black is 42" and the 147's end up all over the target face. Just my experience.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a 10x10 inch steel target out to 775 yards.
for sh*t's and giggles I said what the heck... lets try this out.
out of 20 rounds I hit 4 times, and you can see the splash all around (an inch to 2 inches) the target with the rest.
I tried shooting the same rounds with my bolt rifle... and got the same results and got me thinking about going out to a thousand to what what happens and wondered who else has tried this.

I'll try shooting the same rounds at that thousand yard the next time I go back out BEERCHUG1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.