M14 Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Been reading this on other forums also an what I can gather is.

1. Its not a squib....the 7th round never went into the chamber an was intact.
2. When the Garand fired gases exited the barrel.....not a squib.
3. I thought maybe a out of battery, but some say it can't be done unless there was a brokin firing pin.
4. She says they were usuing "newer" ammo, an it appears it was new Federal 30/06. It was probably too hot an needed a gas plug an adjusted for this type of ammo.

So I'm guessing it was the ammo, perhaps after repeated shooting it weakin' the parts.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Anyone got a fresh pair of underwear?

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Been reading this on other forums also an what I can gather is.

4. She says they were usuing "newer" ammo, an it appears it was new Federal 30/06. It was probably too hot an needed a gas plug an adjusted for this type of ammo.

So I'm guessing it was the ammo, perhaps after repeated shooting it weakin' the parts.
I doubt that catatrosphic failure was from even Federal's higher pressure hunting loads. Those loads will beat a gun to wear it out much faster than Ball ammo, but most folks don't shoot enough hunting ammo to have done ANYTHING like what happened.

The only ways that much damage could have been done and that I can think of readily are:

1. Pistol powder used in reloading and if it was factory ammo, that should not be the case.

2. The bolt did not seat correctly when the round was fired and for whatever reason it did not seat correctly.

3. The cartridge case ruptured, but again with new ammo, it should not have done that.

4. Firing pin broke and stuck forward in the bolt.

5. REWELDED receiver on the rifle.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
There were tests done after WW2 to see what it would take to blow up the action on an M1 (the US Army had issues prior to WW2 with 03 Springfields blowing up and since no M1's had blown up they wanted to see what it would take to make one blow up).

The started with 3 guns - an M1 Garand, an Arisaka rebarreled to 30.06 and an armory pressure test action/barrel (so they could test the pressures of the loads they were running through the guns.

They got to a point where they were afraid to continue using the pressure test gun for fear of damaging it and the M1 Garand was still going. They blew up the Arisaka and the M1 was still going. Finally, at a calculated pressure of around 180,000 psi (if I remember correctly) the case head on a round separated and the gas blowing back into the action blew up the stock and damaged the trigger housing and bolt.

They replaced the damaged trigger housing, reinstalled the bolt and continued to fire standard GI ball ammo till they got tired of wasting ammo and the M1 JUST KEPT FIRING/WORKING. This is in no way and endorsement of using high pressure loads in your M1 Garand. Read Hatcher's Book of the Garand for more details as well as lots of other good stuff.

It takes a lot to blow up and M1 like that one blew up.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Squip load-saw recoil

Viewing the last rd before the blow up, I saw an empty kick out and no clip. I don't claim to be the smartist person but on rare occasion I have forgotten to load powder (dumb me) into hulls. As a result, my rifle only made noise of hammer droppong. NO BOOM! There appeared to be enough gas passing gas port to kick out previous empty. That means that the bullet traveled just short of end of barrel but still passed gas port? I Don't believe this is probable. And, if so, the barrel towards end would blow up. Yours appeard to have dotonated at breech.

I learned real quick on some 30+ years ago to keep my wife out of my man cave while reloading, especially if she is following me to keep an argument going.

Forgetting to load powder into pistol ammo hulls will definately dislodge bullet into its cone or riflings when firing. But, you will not be able to chamber new round. DONE THAT TOO! 38 special loads can be dangerous too if you are using a progressive press like a Dillon (good press ). They require so little powder, they are difficult to visually inspect for powder as you crank them out. 9mm and 45s are easier to see the insides.

I will attest 100% that CCI sr primers (without powder) will not dislodge a 5.56 round enough into the riflings so that a new round can be feed and result in this type catostrophy. Done that too.

Was she firing maginum primers. Experment on the remaining M1.

I'd bet on someone mixing pistol powder like Bullseye with 4895??? I keep pistol powder sepaerated from rifle powder. Learned about that 30+ years ago too.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Tank1949, read post number 27, she explains what happened...there isn't any reason to have to guess at what happened.

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lean towards

she really needs to fix her stance LOL, that drives me crazy
I know!

I train my novices to lean into it a bit while staying in balance, kind of like a boxers' stance.

I noticed women tend to lean away more often

Thank you for the videos and the comments.

·
Registered
734 Posts
REMMAC,

FYI:

There are a lot of posts on this subject. I'm sure that I mssed something.

My SA XD 45 will shoot with slide not 100% closed (grit, trash, etc). I emailed SA about my concern, but they have not responded. As you know, it is blow back type and not gas operated. I don't know if this helps or not. I'd still bet on incorrect powder like Bullseye.

Our range had warnings about some bad foreign 308 ammo that was being recalled due to some powder contamination. If I didn't make it or it was not made by a domestic ammo producer, I don't shoot it. And, I still make mistakes.

If it were my wife or daughter, I'd experiment to be absolutely sure as to what caused this. I'm sure that they have.

God bless her and the USA!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.