Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn0KBzK2Kho&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since I was a kid the first thing my dad told us to do when we got our shotguns out of the case to go hunting was to bring the slide to the rear and look down the muzzle to make sure there was nothing in there except air.

Will and M1 Garand or M1A (in good condition) allow the firing pin to contact the primer before the bolt is fully locked up? I thought that was the purpose of the safety bridge - to prevent the firing pin from moving forward until the bolt was in position.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
There were tests done after WW2 to see what it would take to blow up the action on an M1 (the US Army had issues prior to WW2 with 03 Springfields blowing up and since no M1's had blown up they wanted to see what it would take to make one blow up).

The started with 3 guns - an M1 Garand, an Arisaka rebarreled to 30.06 and an armory pressure test action/barrel (so they could test the pressures of the loads they were running through the guns.

They got to a point where they were afraid to continue using the pressure test gun for fear of damaging it and the M1 Garand was still going. They blew up the Arisaka and the M1 was still going. Finally, at a calculated pressure of around 180,000 psi (if I remember correctly) the case head on a round separated and the gas blowing back into the action blew up the stock and damaged the trigger housing and bolt.

They replaced the damaged trigger housing, reinstalled the bolt and continued to fire standard GI ball ammo till they got tired of wasting ammo and the M1 JUST KEPT FIRING/WORKING. This is in no way and endorsement of using high pressure loads in your M1 Garand. Read Hatcher's Book of the Garand for more details as well as lots of other good stuff.

It takes a lot to blow up and M1 like that one blew up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.